Vacation, can I close the skimmer

Pat60

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2016
PA
Well not really vacation ,but we will be away for 5 days. The leaves are falling like crazy, and I can’t find anyone to empty the skimmers. We do have a solar cover, but it doesn’t fit well and I afraid the skimmers might get full.They have been fine for days, but it’s suppose to storm while we are gone. We have 2 skimmers and a main drain, but I believe the one skimmers (
(deep end ) is tied to the drain. This Is the skimmer I’m worried about. Any suggestions for the best way to leave the setup.

Attachments

• 84A20443-332B-4371-A86A-04EC83DFD372.jpeg
    84A20443-332B-4371-A86A-04EC83DFD372.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 491043A7-D18B-4B80-9092-6BFC5B209106.jpeg
    491043A7-D18B-4B80-9092-6BFC5B209106.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 24
I would put the cover on with or without shutting down the skimmers. It will help keep them out of the skimmers and the main drains. You shut the skimmers down, and they will end up sinking to the bottom and be more work to clean up when you return.

Reactions: Newdude
I just looked again at your photo... So main drain comes through skimmer 1. You would have to at least keep that open. Again, you should be able to reduce the debris quite a bit by using the solar blanket.

I normally compensate a neighbor for doing a daily check on my skimmer and watering plants while away rather than covering.

I also have the capability to change my SWG from my phone, so I start it running hotter than my usage, and then cut it down half - way through the trip. Checking for clarity from security cam.

Thank you for your reply. My go to neighbor is also away next week, and the plants are mostly dead already! I have a very old system ( 30 yrs) no automation just a clock timer. I will leave all plumbing set as is, and even if the the skimmer tied to the drain gets clogged, the drain itself would allow enough water for the pump?( in addition to the other skimmer, which I think should be ok because of wind direction).

the drain itself would allow enough water for the pump?
It is supposed to. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone would risk a guarantee here. It is 25yrs old, and without knowing all the history.... Do you have enough time before you leave to test the theory?

WOW , yes, what a great idea! I will fill the skimmers with leaves tomorrow and see what happens at different intervals and report back! TFP again for the win! THANK YOU!

WOW , yes, what a great idea! I will fill the skimmers with leaves tomorrow and see what happens at different intervals and report back! TFP again for the win! THANK YOU!
If that does not work - is it feasible to place a net (mesh screen, etc) in front of the skimmer on the pool side so any debris stays in the pool? You have the cover on and with a screen in front of the skimmer (#1) just keeps everything from clogging up in the small skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd guess the cover will trap 95% of the leaves and the few that make it to the skimmer won't come close to clogging it.

But also with the cover on, you don't skim, so you have nothing to lose by pulling 100% from the drain if you can figure out how to.

The skimmer action is very slow with the poorly fitting solar cover ( 2 pieces ), and a few leaves have been sucked in, but I‘m really just worried that a big storm would mean lots of leaves in the skimmer.

I loaded the skimmers with leaves, have t seen any air in the pump basket, I think I will just leave things ascthery are. Once again, thanks to all for helping me once again!
PS …I will bring the water to slam level before leaving.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.