vac hose stuck in skimmer-help!

Jedisparky

Silver Supporter
Mar 9, 2017
L.A. CA
I have a situation where my hose get sucked up to the skimmer and can't break free. I use my pool brush laid on the ground with the brush about a foot off the coping turned length wise to block the hose from getting close to the skimmer and put bricks on the handle to hold it in place. Anyone else use a pool vac with a hose that has run into this problem. Hayward pool bar XL. Thx.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I bought a threaded PVC coupling and a backwash hose adaptor at Lowes. Plumbing & Pool sections, respectively. The coupling sits nicely in the skimmer hole but doesn't get sucked in. After the tailpiece broken I discovered the hose wedges snugly into the threads.

If your main drain isn't plumbed to your skimmer the way mine is, buy a skimmer plate. Then the crud you vacuum ends up in the skimmer basket where it's easy to remove.

or

Jedisparky

Silver Supporter
Mar 9, 2017
L.A. CA
So the first picture shows what will happen to trap the cleaning hose, the second picture shows what I do to combat it. There is enough suction apparently to hold the hose against the skimmer leaving it unable to release.

Thanks

Jedisparky

Silver Supporter
Mar 9, 2017
L.A. CA
Well, I'd like the skimmer to do what it's supposed to do. I get a decent amount of debris per week from the skimmer basket and works very well so I'd hate to by pass it and I like the noodle idea however I think it to would block the skimmer. I'm talking to a metal guy to design a small removable SS grill/overhang or if it's cost to much, I just might switch to an electric Dolphin type rover.

ohaya

Jun 17, 2015
VA
Hi,

My wife says that the skimmer basket used to float up all the time, so she put a kind of large rock into the basket to keep it from floating up.

Is it possible your skimmer basket is also floating up so the hose is getting sucked in, under the basket, into the skimmer inlet?

Jedisparky

Silver Supporter
Mar 9, 2017
L.A. CA
Thanks, no though. Our basket has a solid locking system, heck it's even hard to get out. It's just draw of the skimmer that holds the hose in place.

Hayward Pool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Oct 15, 2014
Elizabeth
Sometimes just raising the pool level up higher on the tile line can solve the problem. Also make sure your returns are not pushing the hose in that direction. Redirect the returns.