Using your home heat pump to heat your pool water

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
I saw an episode on this old house where someone with a shady pool ran their pool water through this heat exchanger (connected in the freon lines on their home heat pump) and back to the pool. It heats the pool and makes the home heat pump system run more efficiently.

Has anyone done this? My home heat pumps are probably 75' from where the pool equip will be located. I don't know if the distance would be an issue but am interested. I was thinking of installing a couple of pipe runs in the electrical trench when that is done so I would have the option later.

My pool will have a heat pump on it but this other method, if it worked, would reduce my home cooling and heat the pool for free.

Anybody done it?

Screenshot 2021-08-17 1.22.01 PM.png

Read this and other threads on Hotspot FPH

It's an idea that makes more sense as part of a new build. I tried running the numbers, and as a retrofit it doesn't work financially for me. However, I think longer term we might be seeing a lot more of this. We throw away hear while buying natural gas to heat a pool. Most recently I've been thinking about the 10-20 gallons of water condensed out of the air by my air conditioner system then then run out the sanitary sewer. That could compensate for evaporation if the water was just piped to the pool instead. Regardless of what we think about climate change, it is clear that energy is about to get more expensive, and water conservation is going to be mandated before we know it, so if we can save them now, we might head off problems later. OK. Down off the soap box. I'm trying to find a plumber who wants to reroute my A/C condensate.

Reactions: Newdude
It's a pricey modification and if I do anything now, it will be to put in piping which will later give me an option if I want. I have no idea of how warm or cold the pool will be. It gets hot here in the summer but the pool during peak season will probably only get direct sun from 10:30a to 4:30p. It does seem like a waste of heat not to use what is dispersed from the heat pump Same with the heat pump that the pool will have. It will be blowing out cold air that could be cooling off the pool house. As for water, I'm fortunate to be on a deep well and not have to deal with public entities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.