USING WINTER FLOATER

tbenton

Jun 3, 2010
We always have used a Bioguard winter floater which contains TRI CHLOR tabs . They don't make them anymore and did not replace it with anything. I want to use a regular chlorine floater to replace it (MUCH CHEAPER TOO) but don't know how many tabs were in the Bioguard one. Does anyone use a regular floater and can tell me how many tabs to put in it and how 'open' to set the floater . We have a Loop Loc cover so always put another Bioguard floater in there in Feb so I will have a spare floater to use since its impossible to retrieve the first one under the Loop Loc. Thanks in advance.

I know this is not what you are asking but, when I used pool store advice, I used a floater similar to what you describe, when I opened, I always had Algae. Since I switched to TFP methods and I use their closing and opening methods, I open to a crystal clear pool. Maybe it's time to change.

I will have a spare floater to use since its impossible to retrieve the first one under the Loop Loc
Use string to tie it up in the middle. Tie it off at the corner you open in February, and the other side. Leave lots of slack on the other side so you can pull it over to the open corner and then pull the refilled one back to the middle.

How long is your winter ? Your location of '50' doesn't tell us much.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Fwiw, I have never used a floater in winter.
Close at slam level when water is 60 degrees or below. Open to crystal clear water & above minimum fc before water temp rises above 60. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Newdude
I have never used a floater in my pool. I close with algae free water, 1/2 slam level of FC, and Polyquat60 in the pool with water temp at 60F.

Having a solid winter cover helps open with clear water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.