Using my auto fill line to replace my water service.

Automidnight

Feb 10, 2022
Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is probably a dumb question but I had my autofill plumbed with 1" pvc because I thought that I might be able to use the same line to replace my 1" galvanzied water service line with the same pipe. It will save me lots of digging if I can use the autofill line to replace my service. The auto fill line ties into my house plumbing just above the existing service line. My question is can I extend the auto fill line to my water meter and have the auto fill tee off the service line? Not sure if I am missing something or not, it seems to me that it would work. Opinions are appreciated.

Check code for city first. Would need riser and back-flow preventer. Other than that, water pressure after the meter is water after the meter. I'm on a well and my irrigation system is 1" teed with with 1" house feed at the tank, and it changes little with house pressure and volume when running. Yours is intermittent, restricted feed, as well.

Do you have a Backflow Preventer on your autofill line?

My question is can I extend the auto fill line to my water meter and have the auto fill tee off the service line?
Why do you want to do that?

How is that different then the auto fill line tieing into your house plumbing just above the existing service line.

Do you have a Backflow Preventer on your autofill line?

Why do you want to do that?

How is that different then the auto fill line tieing into your house plumbing just above the existing service line.
My galvanized water service needs to be replaced because the water that comes out of my taps is fully if rusty crud.

Yes, you can extend the auto-fill line to the meter, and tee off that to the house, as long as the line you're replacing isn't larger than 1". Just replace like-size with like-size. Technically, you're not really extending the auto-fill line as much as you're replacing your main. Which way the tee faces is just your way of looking at it. According to George Costanza: "It's all pipes, what's the difference!"

Read up on backflow prevention. But it doesn't matter if you go through with this plan or not, you need a proper BFP between your pool and the water supply. BFP protection is a good thing for the whole property, not just the pool, and will very likely be required someday for residential buildings as it is now for most commercial buildings (in CA, anyway). It'll be a while before they try to get us all to retrofit, they'll start out with mandating it for new construction. So install the BFP device before everything, so that it isolates both your pool and your house from the water main.

I would use schedule 80 for a water main, especially the slip-to-male-thread adaptor that will connect your new main to the meter. That is a major stress point, and I just had one snap (cost me $400 of water before I could fix it). It was the city water guys that recommended the Sch 80 adaptor. They said they see that failure a lot. You might have to find a good plumbing supply place for that part.

Reactions: Automidnight
Check code for city first. Would need riser and back-flow preventer. Other than that, water pressure after the meter is water after the meter. I'm on a well and my irrigation system is 1" teed with with 1" house feed at the tank, and it changes little with house pressure and volume when running. Yours is intermittent, restricted feed, as well.
Thanks for the reply. Aside from code though it sounds like there is not reason it wouldn't work.

Sounds like he's trying to rid his property of the galvanized iron, which is a good thing.

Yes, you can extend the auto-fill line to the meter, and tee off that to the house, as long as the line you're replacing isn't larger than 1". Just replace like-size with like-size. Technically, you're not really extending the auto-fill line as much as you're replacing your main. Which way the tee faces is just your way of looking at it. According to George Costanza: "It's all pipes, what's the difference!"

Read up on backflow prevention. But it doesn't matter if you go through with this plan or not, you need a proper BFP between your pool and the water supply. BFP protection is a good thing for the whole property, not just the pool, and will very likely be required someday for residential buildings as it is now for most commercial buildings (in CA, anyway). It'll be a while before they try to get us all to retrofit, they'll start out with mandating it for new construction. So install the BFP device before everything, so that it isolates both your pool and your house from the water main.

I would use schedule 80 for a water main, especially the slip-to-male-thread adaptor that will connect your new main to the meter. That is a major stress point, and I just had one snap (cost me $400 of water before I could fix it). It was the city water guys that recommended the Sch 80 adaptor. They said they see that failure a lot. You might have to find a good plumbing supply place for that part.
Thanks for the solid reply.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.