Using last year's regents

May 24, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
So my pool is going to be opened in two weeks, and of course I was going to order a new test kit, but I looked at all of my regents from last year and none of them expire until Dec '19 or spring of '20. They were stored in a closet in my basement, which is dry and around 60-65 degrees. I'm just going to use them until they start to run out and order new regents as needed. I'm assuming they should be ok, since they weren't stored in any kind of extreme condition. Any experts willing to ease my mind and agree that they should be fine?

That should be fine. The R-0871 powder, if it has become dark or clumpy, may be compromised. Check that. The R-0014 for pH can also degrade so be careful if your pH readings do not appear reliable.

Marty - question on old reagents and how to dispose of them. Down the drain? In the garbage? I am getting a small collection of half-used bottles and not sure what to do with them.

Marty - question on old reagents and how to dispose of them. Down the drain? In the garbage? I am getting a small collection of half-used bottles and not sure what to do with them.
I would slowly pour them down the drain (if liquid) with lots of water. Volume is miniscule compared to the water reclamation system so no issue. Be aware of the colored reagents, they can stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.