Using extension cord for this year?

Hi all, First post here. Getting ready to replace a 10'x20' Intex that came with the house (and collapsed over the winter) with a new 12'x24'. Not only did the previous owner run a 100' of 16/2(with the grounding spade removed) to a Hayward pump/cartridge filter, they ran it under a sealed garage door, pinching it. Until we get more electrical work done, I'll be using an extension cord as well(from an outdoor receptacle!)

Here's a few tips/ideas:

1. I keep a few of these portable GFCI plugs around to keep extension cord safe. At $20/each they're a no brainer. No need to turn the pump off when you get in, that's a bad thing to rely on, just make it electrically safe in the first place.
2. I like the idea using PVC pipe or a roll of black irrigation pipe as a temporary conduit to protect a temporary cord.
3. After running the pump for awhile, check the cord to see if its hot, THAT will tell you that you definitely need a heavier cord.
4. Don't coil any extra extension cord, either widen the run to use it all or lay the excess cord in a figure-eight.
5. This applies to any motor, pool or not...don't shortchange the extension cord. Motors really don't like low voltage, they will run hotter which will shorten their life substantially.

Baumeister

I'm connected to GFCI at the outlet on the house. From there I run the cord up into this bin to plug it into the pump. Inside the bin, the cords are in a separate plastic container which sits on top of several things which keeps the plugs off the floor of the bin in case water were to somehow get in. And then I have a kiddie pool that I lay over the bin and the pump just to shield both from the elements a little more. And while the cord is fairly exposed in that pic, I went ahead and tucked it away for the run to the pool.

CzT3clVl.jpg

Hi all, First post here. Getting ready to replace a 10'x20' Intex that came with the house (and collapsed over the winter) with a new 12'x24'. Not only did the previous owner run a 100' of 16/2(with the grounding spade removed) to a Hayward pump/cartridge filter, they ran it under a sealed garage door, pinching it. Until we get more electrical work done, I'll be using an extension cord as well(from an outdoor receptacle!)

Here's a few tips/ideas:

1. I keep a few of these portable GFCI plugs around to keep extension cord safe. At $20/each they're a no brainer. No need to turn the pump off when you get in, that's a bad thing to rely on, just make it electrically safe in the first place.
2. I like the idea using PVC pipe or a roll of black irrigation pipe as a temporary conduit to protect a temporary cord.
3. After running the pump for awhile, check the cord to see if its hot, THAT will tell you that you definitely need a heavier cord.
4. Don't coil any extra extension cord, either widen the run to use it all or lay the excess cord in a figure-eight.
5. This applies to any motor, pool or not...don't shortchange the extension cord. Motors really don't like low voltage, they will run hotter which will shorten their life substantially.

Baumeister
So, you’re saying use the portable gfci inside, then run the extension cord from there. Still use a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord? We have no outside electrical outlet.

So, you’re saying use the portable gfci inside, then run the extension cord from there. Still use a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord? We have no outside electrical outlet.
If you do not have an outside receptacle(which should already be GFCI protected), then yes, use the portable GFCI inside so that a break anywhere on the extension cord is protected. The gauge cord required depends on the amps drawn and the distance of the cord.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.