Using Dichlor to increase CYA and decrease PH

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I'm getting ready to do a soft close and need to increase my CYA and decrease the PH before putting the mesh cover on since CYA is less than 30 and PH appears to be 7.8. I hate handling muriatic acid and don't want to wait a few days for CYA to dissolve so I was thinking about using Dichlor to accomplish this task since I have some on hand. I took a sample into a pool store and was told that my CYA is actually 28. If this is accurate, the pool math calculator indicates that 2 pounds of Dichlor will increase CYA by 6.7 and lower PH by .28 which will put my water in a good range for closing. Before I add the dichlor to the pool, I have a few questions:
1. Can dichlor be dissolved in a bucket of pool water and poured in front of a return like liquid chlorine without brushing afterwards? I've got an injury and I'm unable to brush the pool right now. Directions on the product say to broadcast it and brush afterwards but I wasn't sure why it says this.
2. How long do I need to run the pump after adding the Dichlor before I can add liquid chlorine to get it up to shock level? Once I get the pool vacuumed out and add the dichlor, I'd like to get the cover on ASAP so leaves don't blow in. I've heard that you shouldn't add two different types of chlor at the same time so I need to know how long I should wait after adding the Dichlor before adding the liquid chlorine.

J
I'm getting ready to do a soft close and need to increase my CYA and decrease the PH before putting the mesh cover on since CYA is less than 30 and PH appears to be 7.8. I hate handling muriatic acid and don't want to wait a few days for CYA to dissolve so I was thinking about using Dichlor to accomplish this task since I have some on hand. I took a sample into a pool store and was told that my CYA is actually 28. If this is accurate, the pool math calculator indicates that 2 pounds of Dichlor will increase CYA by 6.7 and lower PH by .28 which will put my water in a good range for closing. Before I add the dichlor to the pool, I have a few questions:
1. Can dichlor be dissolved in a bucket of pool water and poured in front of a return like liquid chlorine without brushing afterwards? I've got an injury and I'm unable to brush the pool right now. Directions on the product say to broadcast it and brush afterwards but I wasn't sure why it says this.
2. How long do I need to run the pump after adding the Dichlor before I can add liquid chlorine to get it up to shock level? Once I get the pool vacuumed out and add the dichlor, I'd like to get the cover on ASAP so leaves don't blow in. I've heard that you shouldn't add two different types of chlor at the same time so I need to know how long I should wait after adding the Dichlor before adding the liquid chlorine.
What does your Taylor kit says the CYA and pH are? Don’t do anything based on a pool store test.

J

What does your Taylor kit says the CYA and pH are? Don’t do anything based on a pool store test.
My Taylor test kit says the PH is 7.8 and CYA is less than 30. My test doesn't show any CYA level less than 30 so that is why I went to a pool store to verify the level. My CYA was testing 30 a few weeks ago but we've had to drain water out since then due to rain and had to add water a few times due to evaporation.

My Taylor test kit says the PH is 7.8 and CYA is less than 30. My test doesn't show any CYA level less than 30 so that is why I went to a pool store to verify the level. My CYA was testing 30 a few weeks ago but we've had to drain water out since then due to rain and had to add water a few times due to evaporation.
They can’t test any more reliably than you can. If it’s under 30 just assume it’s 30. It’s fine to add dichlor in that case.

Reactions: ba67
They can’t test any more reliably than you can. If it’s under 30 just assume it’s 30. It’s fine to add dichlor in that case.
How long do I need to run the pump after adding dichlor and how long do I need to wait after adding dichlor to add liquid chlorine? After I vacuum out the pool, I'm going to need to add 2 pounds of Dichlor and a quart of liquid chlorine before I put the cover on the pool to close it.

How long do I need to run the pump after adding dichlor and how long do I need to wait after adding dichlor to add liquid chlorine? After I vacuum out the pool, I'm going to need to add 2 pounds of Dichlor and a quart of liquid chlorine before I put the cover on the pool to close it.
Doesn’t really matter that much, maybe 30 minutes.

Reactions: ba67
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.