Using Dichlor Granular to raise CYA?

May 16, 2017
Newtown, PA
So last year I fought the battle of too much CYA and ended up taking most of the water out and starting again. We used the TFP system all summer with much success! I didn't let the pool company that closed the pool put any chemicals (I just put the recommended amount of bleach in and and we opened the pool to perfect water! :) Now here we are a month later and the CYA level is very low. I knew something was up when we were going through 2 jugs of bleach a day with very little use. I have some dichlor granular leftover from before switching to TFP and was hoping to be able to raise the CYA and raise the chlorine level as well. Any suggestions for how much to put in tonight?

You can use it. Be aware it may take some time if your CYA is low.

Use PoolMath. Put current FC in Now and your target FC in Target.

When it tells you how much Dichlor to use, go to Effects of Adding Chemicals and it will tell you how much CYA that adds.

Take care.

Plug your numbers into poolmath. Select dichlor as the chlorine source and it will tell you how much to put in.

And now the neat part: If you go down to the bottom where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals, and plug in that dose, it will tell you how much CYA it will add. From there you can figure out how much dichlor, overall, you can use. Note: the pH change is only accurate within very narrow parameters, so don;t take the pH change as gospel. But dchlor is acidic, so watch pH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.