Using a well to fill a pool.

abake

Apr 5, 2017
leesburg fl
Hello all, let me just start off by saying how wonderful of a resource this site is and how much I appreciate the folks who are willing to take the time out of their day just to lend a helping hand to a stranger. Im just about to wrap up a rehab of a pool and this site has been my bible!

Im probably going to begin filling next weekend and will be using my well. I have a 3 stage filter on it so the water comes out very nice.

Right now if I have 1 hose running, my pump will get down to 20psi and pump back up to 50psi then shut off until 20psi and so on and so forth. I am trying to figure out if it is best to leave it as is when filling or should I set it up to have it continuously run? Any idea what is easiest on the pump? My figuring was that the shut off time allows it to cool for a bit but on the flip side it adds extra strain on the start up. So I just dont know. Its a Sta-right 1 horse if that makes a difference.

Trucking in water is not really an option in my budget. In fact I have a swamp in my backyard and if it wasn't dried right now I would probably fill from that then treat the water lol.

In fact I have a swamp in my backyard and if it wasn't dried right now I would probably fill from that then treat the water lol.
Heck.....depending on the iron in your well water.......you might be better off! Swamps is EZ---------Iron is hard.

Trust me I've been racking my brain trying to determine to most economical solution lol. Florida is in a drought right now so my best bet is the well for the time being. If iron becomes a PITA I may just refill with the swamp water once we get rain.

Trust me I've been racking my brain trying to determine to most economical solution lol. Florida is in a drought right now so my best bet is the well for the time being. If iron becomes a PITA I may just refill with the swamp water once we get rain.

Seem like quite a strain to put on the well (and pump) how many gallons can you get an hour?

30,000 gallons filled. Pump and well are no worse for the wear. Got my utility bill and oddly enough it wasn't even up by all that much. I hard wired the pump to bypass the pressure switch and left it running during the day for 3 days. The well pump is rated for continuous duty but is old so I rolled the dice and turned out fine. I will probably try and get the bearings replaced next time I try to do a full fill just to be safe.

After one day I said screw the 3 stage filter because it cut the pressure down by a lot and the pool would have taken over a week to fill at the pace I was going.

The water had a lot of metal in it as you can see. Once I added chlorine it took about 2 days for the water to turn completely clear. I added just a bit of clarifyer as well, about 12 oz. over a couple of days. I have a cartridge filter and one thing I did was I tore up a couple of old pillows and stuffed around the cartridges since I've read about how good poly fill is at collecting rust. I haven't opened up the canister yet but will in the next couple of days.

zQU2EHM.jpg
pbekpxh.jpg
ruwzx8K.jpg

Not sure a clarifier will help your metal situation, I think a sequestrant is what you are looking for.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

The clarifier was mostly just a precaution but just adding chlorine and filtering seems to have done the trick. I have shocked it twice now and both times the water stayed clear and no rust precipitated out that I could tell. I will try and take some pics of inside the filter. Maybe the poly fill I put in is what did it. I cant really say for now. Just wanted to show everyone what worked for me and try to give back some since Ive used this site for just about everything in the past couple of months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use those same whole home canisters but I ran them in line together with very fine filters. Thats why my pressure was so bad with them. It works great in my house and my water tastes great and does not stain but when time is a factor my setup is not great.

A little off topic but... I tried those small ones for the house but they don't have the gpm that I needed. Don't know if you have anyplace down there that sells omnifilter products but they have a 20" filter that I installed for the house (not the sprinklers or hose spigots). Changed my first filter on it about 6 months after I installed it. It didn't need to be changed, I just couldn't imagine it wasn't all clogged up because of my experience with the smaller filters almost monthly changes. I use their carbon filter and have no issues with 2 showers running and a dishwasher going.

A little off topic but... I tried those small ones for the house but they don't have the gpm that I needed. Don't know if you have anyplace down there that sells omnifilter products but they have a 20" filter that I installed for the house (not the sprinklers or hose spigots). Changed my first filter on it about 6 months after I installed it. It didn't need to be changed, I just couldn't imagine it wasn't all clogged up because of my experience with the smaller filters almost monthly changes. I use their carbon filter and have no issues with 2 showers running and a dishwasher going.

I got an entire case of 1 micron filters from amazon. I think it was 45 total and it cost 40$. The first filter I use is a 1 micron and the 2nd is a 5 micron carbon filter and then another 1 micron filter. The first one needs changing probably about every 2 months but the others last a very long time. My well is set between 30 and 50 psi and I dont really have much of a dip in pressure. But I dont have kids or anything so if multiple lines were open at the same time then it would probably be more of a problem.

FYI In the future it is better to let the pump run unrestricted then to have it building pressure to push against OR constant starting and stopping. Dont worry about the temp of the pump, remember it has all that fluid stripping heat away from it while it is running. However dont let it run dry. This doesnt solve your iron problems but dont worry about the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.