Using a stainless steel brush

Sep 27, 2016
N/A
After buying a nylon-bristle brush for the pool, I was told to brush in one direction. For example, brush down the walls and away. The idea was that brushing in the opposite direction could be hard on the plaster. I'm not sure if this is correct, but it's the guidance I've been following.

Fast forward to today and I 'd like to use a stainless-steel algae brush. The one I have is about 6 inches in width. I'm using it to try to get rid of some black algae, but it's awkward and mostly ineffective brushing in one direction due to the physical location of the algae. I'd prefer to have 360-degree freedom in moving the brush head around, if possible. I'm hoping someone can set me straight on how to use these brushes properly. The plaster is extremely old and stressed in various places, so care needs to be taken not to damage the plaster when using the brush.

Thanks.

I do not know about plaster for the direction to matter, I was told down the wall and out for circulation. Again no expert but getting a small patch of black algae I not sure would matter. Thought I would reply to help bump.

No clue on brushing direction. I applaud your diligent brushing! I will remind you that after brushing the black algae to scratch the hard biofilm shell, your FC will be able to get in there and will drop fast, requiring more frequent FC additions. Be sure to test and keep your FC up towards shock.
(...)you need to get the overall chlorine level way up in your pool to shock level (even to yellow/mustard shock level) and keep it there while frequently brushing the black algae to remove the slime layer and expose the algae itself to the chlorine. (...)

Keeping the overall pool at shock level and having patience with regular brushing is the best way to get rid of the black algae. (...) the regular brushing with exposure to high chlorine levels is the most important factor.

Richard

Thanks for the bump/replies. I went ahead and started the scrubbing. I mostly brushed in one direction, but sort of rotated the brush head around to maneuver into tight areas. I've become a little cautious as of late since the old plaster is acting a bit fragile. But the steel bristles are not that stiff, and I figured what the heck.

No damage that I can see. And I seem to have made a good dent in the algae.

I followed up with a good dose of bleach.

Will be curious how it looks tomorrow, though that's probably too soon for any major changes.

Do you have any testing available at the moment? Without achieving a high enough chlorination for your current CYA, you will not be attacking the black algae very effectively - which means you're subjecting your plaster to a lot of brushing for nothing. I would suggest that "saving" by not buying at least a TF-50 if you already have a PH test is penny wise and pound foolish. Plaster worth thousands - test kit less than a hundred. How much plaster damage would you have to incur before you regretted not buying a test kit and SLAM Processing at the correct [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] so that your black algae has the best chance at clearing? Just my thoughts at the moment.

Do you have any testing available at the moment? Without achieving a high enough chlorination for your current CYA, you will not be attacking the black algae very effectively - which means you're subjecting your plaster to a lot of brushing for nothing. I would suggest that "saving" by not buying at least a TF-50 if you already have a PH test is penny wise and pound foolish. Plaster worth thousands - test kit less than a hundred. How much plaster damage would you have to incur before you regretted not buying a test kit and SLAM Processing at the correct [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] so that your black algae has the best chance at clearing? Just my thoughts at the moment.

Yes, I have two of the recommended test kits. In the last few months, I've been keeping the FC at 5-7.

Yesterday, I used the Pool Math calculator to add enough bleach to raise the FC to 12. That seemed to do the job, along with the help of the brushing. Today, things look great. I'll have to wait for the sun to go away to look at the situation in detail, however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.