Using a skimmer sock while manually vacuuming

amin36

In The Industry
Nov 24, 2017
shahsavar
Guys

I am thinking of using a hair net or skimmer sock while manually vacuuming using a vacuum plate to stop small particles from going into the filter.
Do you think that to be a good idea?

One thing that does not seem good is that we will have reduction in flow of water due to aggregation of small particles in the skimmer sock or hair net

Any opinion?

I have seen leaf canisters inline on vacuum hoses to catch big debris. I have heard of filtering out small debris from getting to the filter using hairnets.

How small of debris are you trying to prevent from getting to the filter while vacuuming?

Reactions: amin36
I have seen leaf canisters inline on vacuum hoses to catch big debris. I have heard of filtering out small debris from getting to the filter using hairnets.

How small of debris are you trying to prevent from getting to the filter while vacuuming?
Thanks...if possible i like to use hairnet and filter as small particles as possible

FWIW, I've used both actual skimmer socks and hairnets as skimmer socks--(just as skimmer filters and not as you're planning to use them.) I've found actual skimmer socks to be infinitely more effective and durable in that role than hair nets. With several wax myrtle and purple vitex trees around the pool, I get a lot of debris in the skimmers. While I have to clean out either kind almost daily, the life of a hairnet is maybe 2-3 days vs. a couple weeks for a real skimmer sock. It's that much tougher a material. If that seems like it would matter in your vacuum application, you might consider it.

Reactions: amin36
FWIW, I've used both actual skimmer socks and hairnets as skimmer socks--(just as skimmer filters and not as you're planning to use them.) I've found actual skimmer socks to be infinitely more effective and durable in that role than hair nets. With several wax myrtle and purple vitex trees around the pool, I get a lot of debris in the skimmers. While I have to clean out either kind almost daily, the life of a hairnet is maybe 2-3 days vs. a couple weeks for a real skimmer sock. It's that much tougher a material. If that seems like it would matter in your vacuum application, you might consider it.
Thanks bill for the good advice...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.