Using a Hot Tub as a Pool in Summer

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
We are moving into a new home this summer and I was planning on getting a pool. However, due to the size of our yard, I am now toying with the idea of getting a large hot tub and using it as both a hot tub during cooler seasons and a mini pool during summer. Has anyone done this? How did it work out? Any suggestions on brands/models? Any special features I should look for? I know nothing about hot tubs so any help would be appreciated!

So, I traded a rifle scope for a hot tub with a buddy that didn't want his when he bought a house. 4yrs in and it's been great. It's a older 2006 Sundance. I've had to do some minor repair on it. Not bad at all. We use it a lot for beating the heat in the summer time. It's great for the winter months too. We decided on a pool after catching the kids doing cannonballs into it one summer afternoon.

With that being said, I've seen and been in some really awesome small pools in small backyards that we're heated for a small cost.

But honestly, I would never have spent the money on a pool if we didn't live in the south. Our summers can hit 117degs. and our season is pretty long. With your location, a hot tub may be your better bet. I guess you could try it and if it doesn't pan out, you can sell it and do a pool. I've been told the hot tub market is a year behind. So, resale might be good for ya, if you can find one.

Depending on the size of the area you have, a swim spa may be the better bet, but as said before, they are not cheap. Tidal Fit, made by Artesian is a good brand, PDC makes decent swim spas as well as Hydropool. Insulation will be important in northern Illinois.
Artesian has a couple of dual zone spas which give you a separate swim spa and hot tub but they are over 20' long, one is in an L configuration which I think is a nice layout for a dual zone spa. They also have shorter ones but they are not dual zone.
You can run different temps for the seasons in a hot tub but unless you are just looking to cool off in the summer, size constraints more or less prohibit actual swimming.

I use my Bullfrog A7 (2.24m x 2.24m) as a mini-pool during these recent heat waves.

If it's hovering around 30C out, I set the spa to 33-34.5. Heat from the pumps will bring it up to 35.5-36 after a couple hours, and 36 is slightly too warm when it's hot out.

If it's really hot out (mid to high 30s), then closer to 32C in the spa is great. Low 30s in the spa is slightly chilly if it's under 28 out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.