Using 2.5ppm per day, should I bump CYA?

Lissawku10

Jan 23, 2021
Glasgow, KY
I use liquid chlorine each day for 31k gal. My CYA is 30. I’m consistently using 2.5ppm per day (water temp 84 and high temps between 85-90 each day), so I’m adding 3 quarts (sometimes a whole gallon— I think maybe the strength isn’t as high as it is supposed to be) of 10% each day. I have researched but keep seeing contradictory information. If I bump my CYA to 40, would it use less chlorine?? If there’s a way to not burn through these jugs so fast, I’m all for it!

If you are in a warm climate and your pool gets lots of sun, you are probably better off with your CYA at 40-50ppm. Although you'll have to bump your FC target level up when you add, you will lose less FC daily than if it's down at 30.

When I was dosing with liquid I observed a slight drop in FC loss as I increased my CYA from 30 to 40ppm. Try adding CYA in 5ppm additions and monitor your FC loss after a couple days. Your FC target will go up with a higher CYA but your daily FC loss may drop slightly. Owning a proper test kit makes it possible to monitor and manage your water chemistry at this level.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In march, i increased my cya from 40 to 50 and my fc usage went down 1ppm per day. Recently, i increased cya to 60 and am saving an additional 1ppm per day. I'm up to about 2.5ppm fc loss per day now. I'm sure usage will continue increasing through summer but I don't think I'll go above 60 cya. Hoping it'll be no more than 4ppm fc loss at peak.

We have a steel wall vinyl pool, so we don’t really want to do SWG.
That's complete misinformation there. With all the chlorine additions daily and almost everything you throw at the water has "salt" so your pool has probably a decent amount in there already. If it hasn't rusted with chlorine it won't with a SWCG. Lots of members here have what you have and some even have the automatic motorized pool cover with it for several years without rusting problems. A well balanced pool chlorine or salt have the exact same probability.

Reactions: JodieM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.