User Survey of SWCGs or Heaters or other stuff?

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've looked and didn't find here or anywhere else a definitive user survey of nonessential-but-nice pool equipment. These are not things in general enough use for publications like Consumer Reports to bother with. Those sold on Amazon or other online sites with reviews could be a help, but they're not addressing lifespan or even the same issues consistently. I've read a lot here and from what I've read, I get impressions of some things, but they're just impressions based mostly on questions from people with problems. For example, I'm enthusiastic and turned off, depending on what I've read any day, regarding SWCG devices. My impression is that Pentair has the most problems and within Pentair, the IC40 is the least reliable, based on what I've read here. Of course that may mean that Pentair sells more than others and the IC40 is the most popular model Pentair. Same with heaters. I have a Pentair Mastertemp 400, and that seems to be one that people have problems with more than others. Again, does that mean it's the most trouble prone? Or the most popular?

My point. Has TFP management considered a CU-style reliability survey on commonly purchased hardware? My questions pertain mostly to SWCGs and Heaters, but variable speed pumps, filters, air blowers, booster pumps, robots (that might be tough with at least a thousand different models on the market), and other widely used machines might be of interest and could be a real service to TFP users.

If this has been done, I'd appreciate a link to the survey results, because I can't find it. Thanks.

Hasn't been done and I doubt it is in TFPs business plans to do it.

A few comment on your observations on SWG's from reading a lot of problems. All SWG's have their design weakness.

Hayward AquaRite and their clones burn up the control boards and have lots of electronics problems.

Jandy AquaPure has problems with their trisensor and the 3 prong power cord connection that corrodes.

Pentair IntelliChlor has had problems with the flow switch. Last year Pentair changed their flow switch vendor to address the problem. The IC40 is the most common cell sold among the IC20/40/60 family so you see that cell mentioned the most.

Circupool is too new and changes models and designs frequently to know yet where their weak spots will be.

Of the big 3 I would rather have an Intellichlor with an easily fixable flow switch problem then Hayward boards that need component replacements and soldering. And if you get a new Intellichlor system now you get the new flow switch design.

I can give you a similar story about heaters. Each design has some weak spots.

Thank you, Allen. Good info. It's enough to make me lean toward Pentair...but not yet quite enough to sell me on SWCG in general. For example, I hear extremes of lifespan for a salt cell. Three years is very different from seven years. What is the mean, median, and mode of cell lives. I only know two people with salt systems. One abandoned his after his second salt cell went out and he says the salt "ate away" his rock waterfall. The other really has no clue. It was there when he bought the house, and a pool guy comes in every Thursday, and no one can swim that day because it's "chemical day." The other pool owners I know are even less knowledgeable and get glassy eyed at mention of FC, CC, CYA, TA, CH and so on. They all use paper strips and are blissfully satisfied with their pools. I will neither swim in their pools nor invite them to my pool (I've seen too many cases of hydrilla weed transferring from one lake to another on the bottom of a boat!)

Maybe I can just ask specific questions on the appropriate forum?

In September 2019 I had an IC40 fail that was installed in April 2012. 7 years of use was a good run for an IC40 in a 35,000 gallon pool. Now details matter, since I am in NJ with my pool running about 6 months that cell life would be more like 4 years in Texas where pools are open 12 months.

There are many ways to reduce the life of a cell. One of the most common is unnecessary acid cleaning. Every time you acid clean the cell you reduce its life by removing some of the plates coating. And some cells promote it by turning on a check cell light periodically whether the cell needs cleaning or not.

Manufacturers Owners manuals do not contain information to maximize cell life. It is not in their best interests.

I think most short cell life spans are user induced.

Reactions: BowserB
The other way to look at it is how many (hint - the overwhelming majority) SWG owners plan to keep using one when theirs dies. Little to no salt damage is reported here. Stone that is prone to flake or deteriorate flakes or deteriorate regardless. Most pools are salt pools but some use SWG’s.

Me - First cell 8th season. Currently in process of failing as instant reading is only 75% of test reading. Fully satisfied.

Count me in as a SWCG fan. 👍

Our pool, installed in spring 2004, came with a SWCG, a Goldline (now Hayward) Aqua Rite with a T-15 cell. Here’s my history with it to date;

Spring 2008: Original cell replaced (still under pro rated 5 year warranty; I blame bad pool store advice on short life).
Spring 2009: Main board replaced (still under pro rated 5 year warranty)
Spring 2015: Cell replaced

Count me in for SWG for life fan! First cell lasted almost 9 yrs at 9 months a year use. I think our recommendation on oversizing makes a huge difference and helps them last longer, along with GOOD water management.

Maddie

In the 14 years since install of my Hayward Aquarite, I had to replace the cell once, circuit board once and do a little surgery on the circuit board by replacing the thermistor.

It's enough to make me lean toward Pentair...but not yet quite enough to sell me on SWCG in general....
Looks like you started a wave of SWG proselytizations (If that is even a word) So I'll join in. Comon' you can drink the SWG koolaid too ;)

Cell life! I got 9+ years out of my first cell.. and I didn't even know what I was doing. I am currently on my 6th year with my second cell. Yes 15 years since I put my SWG in.. it was the best decision I have made. (NO REALLY) I have since learned that cell life is dependent on how you care for it and the environment it runs in. I am convinced the cooler average temperature of my pool has helped extend its life. I was told I wouldn't get more than 5 years out of a cell... And if you figure it only by the cost of buying Chlorine the break even point is at about 3 years. So I figure anything past 4 or 5 years is free chlorine.

Easy of use- this one took me by surprise. An SWG makes chlorine slowly and continuously when the pumps are running. It makes all the other chem levels more stable as well. No wild swings. I used to spend a huge amount of time fussing with the pool (granted this was pre TFP) and once the SWG was installed I found I didn't need to fuss with it hardly at all. If I count the time I saved (and I can because I bill hourly) I paid for the SWG in the first year. That doesn't even include the time saved hauling chlorine bottles.

Water Quality.- This one was huge. Swimming in salt water feels better for a lot of people. But also an SWG breaks down the irritating by products of sanitation. So the water is less irritating for those with sensitive skin. My daughter is one of those. She had can't swim in most pools without her eczema breaking out. But she never had problems in our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.