Urgent help requestedšŸ˜±

Ames

Apr 26, 2020
Houston
Hi all.
Iā€™m currently having a pool built and itā€™s been a nightmare of a construction with a lot of delays as well.
we finally had plaster (signature matrix wet edge pebble) installed today. After the application, I noticed a wet spot running down the wall between the sun shelf and shallow end pool wall.
We do not even have equipment hooked up at this time and all pipes are open. What could possibly be causing the water to be ā€œleakingā€? I tried to use a blower to dry up the spot but the water keeps returning. Itā€™s definitely coming from under the plaster since it isnā€™t drying immediately. Water on the surface of the plaster dried immediately when tested. And Iā€™m not allowed to walk on the plaster to investigate too closely.
The pool builder claims there are no pipes here to have an issue with, but I donā€™t really trust him at this point. There were no wet spots on the gunite this morning before plaster.
The plaster company will acid wash in the morning and begin to fill. I donā€™t want to miss a problem that could be a huge issue in the future.

anyone else have similar issues?

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just some trapped water coming out from the plaster application. However, that seems unlikely based on the flow and that it is only in one spot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any pool builders in here?
Looking at the photo: there is the sun shelf on the left, with two bubblers and an umbrella hole in the center, the mysterious water trickling and a return on the right.

Attachments

• 318A771A-E988-45E0-B2A6-A22F9679A547.jpeg
    318A771A-E988-45E0-B2A6-A22F9679A547.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 168
Looks like groundwater coming in thru the shell. Not a good situation. Even if it dries and you fill that's gonna be a mottled spot you will likely see long term. Has it rained recently. Do you have irrigation lines nearby? Regardless theres nothing you can do at this point. Time will tell on this one. You may get lucky

Reactions: Ames
Looks like groundwater coming in thru the shell. Not a good situation. Even if it dries and you fill that's gonna be a mottled spot you will likely see long term. Has it rained recently. Do you have irrigation lines nearby? Regardless theres nothing you can do at this point. Time will tell on this one. You may get lucky
Thank you so much for the quick response. It has not rained recently. However, the PB did redo the irrigation system and we have been watering the new sod more frequently. I only noticed the water immediately after the plaster. We have been watering for a few days prior so I would think we would have seen it through the gunite Should I be hoping for a broken sprinkler pipe as an easy fix for excess water?
How would ground water get through the gunite?

Gunite is porous which is why it's covered by plaster (a water barrier). How far back is the sod from the edge of the decking around the pool. Pic would probably help.

I'm not a builder so have no idea why the water would be seeping through the plaster.

@jimmythegreek

Jimmy, the plaster has been applied as the OP states and the plaster is supposed to be the waterproofing barrier between gunite shell and water, how can water seep through the plaster into the empty pool, but not the other way one the pool is filled? I would think this should be water tight either inside or out, but I may be wrong and you are the expert and always have good answers. Just wasn't sure if you overlooked the fact this pool is already plastered.

The pool isn't waterproof until plaster has chemically reacted in a cure process. That spot is wet and plaster is still a slurry that's why water is getting thru. The OP stated the plaster was just applied and water hasn't been filled yet

The pool isn't waterproof until plaster has chemically reacted in a cure process. That spot is wet and plaster is still a slurry that's why water is getting thru. The OP stated the plaster was just applied and water hasn't been filled yet
That makes sense! Thank you for the reply and the assistance. The PB completely ignored my concerns and filled the pool. Will the plaster cure completely in those spots? Or will I have a spot of weak plaster?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He had to fill it sooner than later wet or dry. Hard to say what's gonna happen with it, alot depends on the color and type of plaster. Some show mottling worst than others. You see pools that look dry and the plaster comes out horrible, and other pools that fight water all thru the build and come out great in the end. So many variables can come into play. Now that it has water how does it look to you?

He had to fill it sooner than later wet or dry. Hard to say what's gonna happen with it, alot depends on the color and type of plaster. Some show mottling worst than others. You see pools that look dry and the plaster comes out horrible, and other pools that fight water all thru the build and come out great in the end. So many variables can come into play. Now that it has water how does it look to you?
The water is still really murky. I couldnā€™t get chemicals and the equipment started up until today, but Iā€™m hoping it will be ok. Thanks so much for your reply and wisdom!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.