URGENT HELP needed - stripped waterline tile back to concrete beam and tiler won't touch it until I render the gap to allow him to tile?

Sydney_Daz

Jul 23, 2021
Sydney Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I urgently need help as time is against me with an empty inground concrete pool (2 weeks dry) and the weather getting warmer by the day here in Sydney Australia.

The pool is 8m x 4m and holds about 40k liters of water. It is a quartz rendered finish up to a 200ml waterline tile and has a granite stone as its coping.

I am replacing my waterline pool tile and decided to give it a go myself. So after stripping back the old waterline tile, I cut and chiseled it back to the concrete pool beam. A big mistake which is costing me now.

My problem is that I went to start tiling and found that I had a 20mm cavity which was impossible to tile as the depth is to big and I would never get the tiles to be flush with the quartz rendered pool finish all the way around the pool.

I called a few tilers to takeover the tiling and they wouldn't do the job until I built out the 20mm cavity.

My question to the community is, how do I go about rendering the 20mm cavity to prepair it for the tiler and what materials/render would I use?

Many Thanks
Daz

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_144114.jpg
    IMG_20210808_144114.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210810_155057.jpg
    IMG_20210810_155057.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210810_155046.jpg
    IMG_20210810_155046.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 101
Welcome to TFP.

This is the recommended material buildup for glass tile…

1626430671428-png.355575

Thanks so much for the info @ajw22.

Would you be able to recommend what materials to use for the Mortar bond bed coat and Mortar bed . I've researched and there is cement or acrylic render. Which option would you go with and is one easier to apply than the other considering the depth I need to build out?

I've contacted a rendering company and they are reluctant to quote the job as they cannot guarantee that the render they use won't destroy the pool quartz/render? any ideas how best to protect the pool plaster from getting destroyed when I render, thanks?

Cheers
Daz

There are many you can use on page 3 and 4 but you have different products down there.. Here is a start and you can modify.. Ardex has some great products that we can not get here :)

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 17
Hi Daz.

My pool shell was rendered with decomix course blended with deco bond additive.

Are you good with a trowel? It's not too difficult. Plastic sheet and masking tape? Keep a bucket of water and a rag on hand, clean up the slops as you go?

Render goes on in multiple layers to buildup the right thickness, give each layer enough time to stiffen well.

Daz, sticking the tiles on isn't rocket science either. Adhesive used on mine is laticrete 335. And grout used is laticrete permacolor.

Take care rendering! The quality of the render finish will dictate the finish of the tiles.

I hope this helps you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.