Upside down cell

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
So I was troubleshooting a small leak around my Pool Pilot PPC1 cell and realized that at some point it was put back on upside down by me or previous owner. I haven't had any major issues with the generator in the past but am curious why it has an "up" indication and what happens if it's put together upside down. Cheers!

Hope this helps...from the manual No mention why the orientation matters: The direction of the water flow through the manifold must be as indicated for the system to work properly. Install the cell into the manifold with the cell cable terminals at the bottom of the manifold as illustrated in the picture. Tighten the unions by hand for a watertight seal.

1647912328296.png

Could the hydrogen gas (and some chlorine gas) disturb the tri-sensor function? Thus the cell must be after the sensor.

Could the hydrogen gas (and some chlorine gas) disturb the tri-sensor function? Thus the cell must be after the sensor.
I think the OP's original question was orientation of the cell. Makes sense on the sensors first, but doesn't explain why they want the electrical connection for the cell to be at the exit, not entrance of the cell. Dunno...

but doesn't explain why they want the electrical connection for the cell to be at the exit, not entrance of the cell.
OK -- must be something inside the cell. Check for a strainer or other item that protects the plates. Should not be an issue to flip it over and install properly.

Reactions: PoolStored
The "up" indicator is so that when you attach the cell cord its openings are facing downward and there is less chance of water or debris collecting and resting in the connection.
Then I'm really confused. The first picture I posted shows the connection being on the bottom. Looking at the cell, that means that the connection is at the bottom and could collect water. Pool Pilot really doesn't make matters clear...

1647971031983.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then I'm really confused. The first picture I posted shows the connection being on the bottom. Looking at the cell, that means that the connection is at the bottom and could collect water. Pool Pilot really doesn't make matters clear...

View attachment 396271
So when you install the cell following the "up" indicator positioning, the male ends of the connection which are the metal prongs on the cell are facing up. The cell cord has the female connection. You push the cell cords female connection over the male cell connection and it leaves the connection completely protected from the top down. The openings of the connection are facing the ground or down. In the end the connection is pretty tight and if you lubricate the metal ends you should never have a problem. I have a pic of my setup I can post later if that helps you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.