Upgrading to SWG

May 17, 2016
Mendon MA
First off I want to thank this forum, and contributing members, as I have been a pool owner for 5 years now and this site has helped me learn the ropes. Thus far, I have been maintaining my pool using 12.5% LC, baking soda, borax, and CYA for the past 5 summers. My pool liner needs to be replaced in the spring and now is as good a time as any to take the plunge and convert to SWG. Based on my research and the info on this forum I am looking at the Circupool system, specially:

Salt Chlorinator: RJ-45 PLUS Salt Chlorinator (2 plus times the volume of my pool)
Pump: CircuPool SmartFlo® 3.0 THP VS Pu (3hp is only $100 more then the 2 hp)

I figure it is smart to replace my 3/4 hp super pump with this upgrade. CircuPool has a package discount on this option for $2K and I plan to install myself. I like this system due to the 7 year warrantee and simplicity.

Does this sound like a good choice? Does the price point make this a good deal? Anything I am missing before I take the plunge?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good plan. We recommend you have a timer or other device to power the SWCG through so you can remove the power to the SWCG when the pump is scheduled to be off. Relying on just the flow switch is not recommended. The flow switch should be the secondary safety device.

As you decide upon your purchases always good to consider your future plans. For some companies the SWCG and pumps will comminucate with one another via automation but only if you by that company's brand for both. All SWCG's have a finite life span so I am a fan of oversizing as well.

I added a Circupool swg several years ago. Easy peasy and I've been very happy with the performance. Works like a charm! Your plan with the power modification sounds great to me. You're gonna be amazed how much easier pool maintenance is. Also when you start it up I would consult Pool Math under "effects of adding" to get your initial settings. Tweak them a little at a time to the point your FC ranges from high to target. Don't micro manage or it will drive you nuts. I run 5- 9 ppm. Only have to adjust once or twice per year on a pool we use year round.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.