Upgrading to swg- time to upgrade panel?

rdthedo

Dec 30, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Basic question: 1) go with 6 breaker subpanel, 2) 6 breaker sub panel with intelliconnect, or 3) go with intellicenter.

My pool is 12k gal with an intelliflo i2, solar touch with solar heating array, in-line chlorine. No water features. In distant future, we may consider adding a spa. When I upgraded from an older fixed speed pump to the intelliflo, I left the old panel. I'm now considering transitioning to SWG; I'm looking at ic40 as it seems most appropriate for my pool. This will require a power center, and the power center will not have adequate supply from my current panel as all breakers are accounted for. So basically, I need to get rid of my old panel, and am looking at adding a 6 breaker subpanel in the very least for the power center. But it also seems like a good time to consider upgrading to smarter automation, either with intelliconnect or with intellicenter. Is there enough benefit with my present system + ic40 to upgrade to a smarter interface, or to take the even bigger step to intellicenter? I like the idea of smart control, but I also recognize my demands are pretty simple. Thanks for guidance

Welcome to TFP.

The IntelliChlor does not need more then 5 amps. You should be able to power it from one of your other breakers.

List the devices that each of your 6 CBs power.

Last edited:
Thanks for help! I admittedly know next to nothing about adding new wiring. I presently only have 4 breakers: one 15A for pool lights, two 20A for filter/pump, one 30A for solar. There is no room for further breaker placement, but it sounds like you guys are suggesting just to add on to one of the other breakers and not have one designated for the SWG?

SWG does not need a dedicated breaker. It is often connected to the filter/pump breaker so if the pump CB trips the SWG also shuts down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.