Upgrading to automation ... couple of questions.

Piperca

May 8, 2020
Orange County, California
I'm adding a Pentair Easy Touch 4 (part number 520538) to my pool/spa. I have reached out to a pool electrician and feel like I'm being fed a line.

I have a 2 year old basic pool/spa, with no water features, Pentair VSF 3 hp pump, Glolite led lighting and an IC40. The IC40 and lighting have their own power center.

According to the electrician, the unit I chose is for new construction only, not retrofit?????? I can't integrate the IC40 or Glolites with the unit, as they need to be powered using built-in transformers, which are supplied with the panel (different panel, obviously). He said, I already have a load center; there is not enough wire to connect the panel (he's only seen photographs of the system). I specifically had the original PB leave the wires long enough for future automation (don't ask/long story). Why can't the Pentair load center be installed where the current load center is? See photo.

Is any of this accurate? I have researched extensively and found this not to be true, but I'm willing to listen to reason, which this guy wouldn't provide me. He wants to use the Intellicenter, saying the unit I selected isn't even available to him. I'm confused, as I see it for sale all over the internet ... even Leslies sells it!

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220611_100700.jpg
    20220611_100700.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 22
P,

Not sure I follow what your electrician is trying to sell.. :scratch:

Looking at your pic, where do plan to install the EasyTouch?

Is the Electrical panel on the left of your pic the old load center? If so, where does it get its 240 volt service? That would be the limiting factor.

Assuming that the old load center is removed, and the 240 volts coming from the house electrical panel, has enough cable to be connected into the new EasyTouch load center, then the rest is a piece of cake.

The old external SWCG power center stays mounted where it is and just gets wired into the new EasyTouch
The old external light transformer stays mounted where it is and just gets wired into the new EasyTouch.

On the surface I just don't see any issues.

There must be something we are missing???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Piperca
Thanks, Jim.

The new panel would be mounted where the old load center (on left) is situated (sorry about the ladder). I attached a better photo. The load center gets its 240 from the main electrical panel on the other side of the house. The original electrician told me he left plenty wire for upgrading to automation, when I was ready.

What you have said regarding the SWCG and the lighting is exactly what my research has revealed, but this guy is telling me otherwise.

Are you familiar with the particular panel I’m speaking about? If so, will it do what I need it to do, with what I have?

I‘m pretty handy, so I’m contemplating doing a diy install. I have a construction background and have done quite a bit of wiring in the past. My son has an electronics background from his time in the Navy. I just hate feeling like I’m being taken advantage of or being fed a line … it’s unnecessary. Times are tough enough without having to deal with con men.

Attachments

• 0ADE084A-FBFE-4CA5-AFD3-53E5432AD947.jpeg
    0ADE084A-FBFE-4CA5-AFD3-53E5432AD947.jpeg
    561.7 KB · Views: 13
P,

If you can wire a light switch and an outlet, you can wire an EasyTouch.

Where does the 240 Volts come into your current load center? On one of the flex conduits at the bottom, or does it come through the wall and into the back of the load center?

To be clear the unit you listed does not come with actuators...

Keep in mind that to use your phone or PC you will need to get ScreenLogic. Having an EasyTouch without ScreenLogic is like riding bareback. Yes, it can be done, but not a lot of fun. Programming with ScreenLogic is about 10 X easier than without it, and ScreenLogic makes understanding how the EasyTouch works much more.. "logical".. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Ive done a lot more wiring than an outlet and a light switch, so that makes me feel very comfortable.

The unit does come with two actuators; I confirmed that on Pentair’s website and also on Leslie’s (where I’m going to buy it with my 15% discount coupon 😜).

The 240 comes in from below. You can just make out a hard conduit that’s mixed with the flex.

I was going to install an indoor wire control panel, but for similar money I can get Screenlogic. I guess I should just go with Screenlogic, if it makes programming that much easier. It’s just something I didn’t think I’d get much use out of, but, then again, I’ve had no exposure. I’m thinking I might kick myself, sometime in the future, if I don’t get it, correct?

One last question: does the Screenlogic protocol adapter need hard wired from the router to the panel or is it wireless?

I lied, one more: the wife thinks we also need the indoor control panel. Is the 4 circuit for this model or does it not matter which I use, 4 or 8? There’s only $20 of a difference.

Thanks again for your insight.

Andrew

Last edited:
When I installed my EasyTouch, I also thought it important to have an indoor wired remote controller. I wanted a control which stayed in one place, could not be lost, and could be used by anyone without training. I also have a wireless control for portability & convenience. ScreenLogic adds enough expensive unreliable equipment that I decided to omit it and have no regrets.

Last edited:
Andrew,

You are correct, I just looked at a pic and did not see the actuators...

I don't see any install issues.

Whatever works for you about the remotes or ScreenLogic, works for me.

With your discount, what is Leslie's going to end up costing you?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.