Upgrading to a Variable Speed Pump

Aug 21, 2017
Dallas, TX
Good evening all,

I am struggling to find info on what would be a like-to-like upgrade if I was leaning towards purchasing a variable speed pump. I currently have a Hayward/AO Smith 2HP/.25 pump that is 8 years old with Model/Part No. SP3215Z2ME.

Can I just get any 2 HP variable speed pump. The problem I am running is I cannot find the horsepower listed on the VSP pumps. I have a 7500 gallon salt water pool.

I also have the Hayward C3030 SwimClear Cartridge pool filter. Per the spec chart for the filter, the effective filtration area is 325. The design flow rate is 122. Please let me know if you will need any other info.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Tom

The pump you have seems way bigger than you should need ... do you have a spa or waterfall or high flow needs?

Why do you want to replace your 2-speed pump? You should be able to get most of the electrical savings that a VS would offer just by running in low speed.

Please fill out your signature with your pool and equipment details.

Sorry I did not clarify. Yes, I do have an inbuilt Spa with jets at the same height level as the pool with a fountain in it. I also have a waterfall ledge.

Unfortunately, my pump started to get louder recently and now will not start. I had changed the capacitors out last season. Given the age, I have decided to possibly purchase a VS pump this time around.

Again, thank you for your help.

Ah, that info helps a lot.

The smaller 1.5HP VS pumps (Super Pump VS, Superflo VS, etc) are going to be smaller and may not provide as much flow as you need.

You could step up to the full 3HP EcoStar or Intelliflo and just dial in the speeds that you need for your setup. The Hayward will better integrate into your ProLogic.

I think there is a Tristar VS that might be very similar to what you have, but I am not sure how well it communicates with the ProLogic, meaning, I don't know if it uses the same communication cable as the EcoStar.

Or, you could just replace the 2-speed motor on your existing pump, which would be the cheapest option.

Thanks Jason. That helps. By the way, my last question: would I damage the system in any way if I get a 3HP
EcoStar or Intelliflo and if it accidentally kicks in at full speed
. I saw a youtube video that suggested I should get a pump that had a lower flow rate than my pool filter.

Or would I be fine if I just run it at a low speed and just keep my kids away. I was just curious if I could dial the speed down (lock it) so I never set a speed for the pump to work over the 122 GPM shown on my filter. Thank you again!

Don't worry about the flow rates. You will be fine. None of those pumps are going to actually put out anywhere close to 120 GPM

I think there is a setting for max speed. When it starts, it will always run at a high speed for priming ... I think that can also be lowered from max speed too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.