Upgrading to 2 speed pool pump above ground pool 17k gal

May 29, 2017
kokomo IN
I am looking to upgrade from a 1.5HP 1 service factor single speed pool pump.

I will keep my original pump as a backup. It worked well and was strong.

I am thinking of replacing it with this pump:

1.5 HP 2 speed pump

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-3402...erType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2

From what I've read on other posts this HP might be too strong. However I'm curious if others that have the same size of pool or larger are able to do a two speed 1HP or if I should just play it safe with the 1.5HP 2 speed.

Power cost here is roughly $0.11/kw and I use it 7 months a year 8 hours a day previously.

Both pumps are the same, max of 50 ft he and max 80 gpm. If you are happy with high speed of your current pump you will be happy with this one, if it's a little strong most likely it's fine since you will be running on low speed all the time. You could try a 1 ho and probably be fine but I like to keep it simple.

Motor hp has to be higher than pump hp(hp required to run), some pumps have a motor rated for more than the pump, like my old pump, 3/4 motor, 1/3 pump.

I am looking to upgrade from a 1.5HP 1 service factor single speed pool pump.

I will keep my original pump as a backup. It worked well and was strong.

I am thinking of replacing it with this pump:

1.5 HP 2 speed pump

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-3402...erType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2

From what I've read on other posts this HP might be too strong. However I'm curious if others that have the same size of pool or larger are able to do a two speed 1HP or if I should just play it safe with the 1.5HP 2 speed.

Power cost here is roughly $0.11/kw and I use it 7 months a year 8 hours a day previously.

I have a 1.5hp WhisperFlo 2-spd on my 15,000 gallon pool with a spillover from the spa. I also have three waterfalls that don't always have to be on.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.