Upgrading pump and need new control system, recommendations?

Tapio

Aug 17, 2015
San Diego, CA
We are going to replace our old fixed speed pump with the Pentair Intelliflow 2.6 VST. The pool has an attached in ground spa with a spillway into the pool. The pool has been running with a mechanical timer. When we use the spa the pool pump must be turned off, and we change the valves to circulate only in the spa. In the spa there is an air switch. With one press the pool pump turns on and the heater starts. One more press and the heater goes off while the pump continues to run. Another press and both pump and heater turns off.
I have looked at the IntelliCenter and IntelliCenter Lite but both seem to be unnecessarily complex for simple operation. I don't need to operate the pool and spa remotely but I suppose it is necessary when using the spa to control the heater on and off. The IntellliCenters are also very big and I don't really have space for one. Are there cheaper/ simpler control options available?IMG_3082.jpeg

Pentair makes a product called IntelliConnect and the new Intelliflo3 pumps can also control some equipment. Neither of these however, will provide you with multiple body management.

IC Lite is your best option if you don't want to do it manually and you're staying Pentair.

Across the big 3 (Pen, Hayward, Jandy) you're looking at the same limitations. Only the flagship panels can juggle multiple bodies. This is due to layers of provisioning in order to provide the user with an "all-in" status change across several pieces of equipment.

I just posted this and then saw your post. Cheapo Pool/Spa Remote Switch It was a relatively minimal investment and can probably do what you need it to do. You should be able to add multiple switches and have one (or more) button(s) control everything. Add a Lutron Caseta switch for you r pool light and you're all set!

The only potential issue is that power would need to be cut to your VS pool pump to turn it off, though, if you're clever, you could probably rig a relay to take care of that (that's beyond my area of expertise).