UPDATE -safe to swim? Worst Pool Store Ever!

Re: Worst Pool Store Ever! UPDATE - Can See the Drain outlin

I asked the local pool store about a skimmer diverter, and they said "what's that?" looked at me like they were a deer in headlights. I told them it allows you to suction from the main drain. she said "why would you want to do that?"

I left

Now that you've seen one, you might find somewhere around the house. Mine was in amongst all the pool stuff the previous owner left behind, but because I'd never used one or seen one, I didn't know what it was or what to do with it.

I got a new one in the last year or two - bought it off eBay.

Good luck!

So I was at leisure pools today, another store in the local area, not the original one of this post, but another corrupt one. they were the only pool store that had pool lights in stock. they are by far the nicest looking pool store around CBRM. most likely due to over charging their customers, they can afford fancy reno's. i asked them about a skimmer diverter and they had no idea what i was talking about, but they did look into it on google and were shocked to find out such a product existed. I also asked about water testing. I said "do you use FAS-DPD method for testing chlorine" she looked at me and said "ohhh fancy terminology, no we test chlorine bromine PH TA and some other things" I said "how high can you test Chlorine levels?" she said "12" I said "oh well you wouldn't be able to test my water then, I have my FC level at 16-20 right now. She then tried to tell me that that is way too high, and I said no it's not not for a CYA level of 40. she then tried to tell me my CYA is low and it should be around 70, and my FC should be at 2ppm. So I bought my lights and left. They were nice in there and seemed like competent people but I have no idea why all pool stores are so bad and not knowledgeable. I feel bad for all the poor saps in the store who don't know any better.

Oh and btw the lights were $40 each. I bought 2. So I still feel ripped off.

So am I done yet? the pool looks clear, very clear, except when i turn my lights on, then i can see every speck of dust that floats by but i don't think that counts does it? will that eventually clear or will i always have to deal with seeing that? will a clarifier clear that stuff away in the filter or should I just keep adding DE to the sand filter while maintaining regular FC levels of 4-8ppm
I have less than .5 ppm of CC. i am doing the 10 ml test and the water doesn't even turn the slightest pink, so i guess it could be 0
and have passed the OCLT for a couple weeks now.

I'd say your done on the shock process since you pass all three criteria :goodjob:

All pools show some suspended particles in the water at night with lights. With a sand filter, you can either run longer filter cycles and/or you can add DE to it and that may reduce some more of the floating particles.

Hi Curtis,
Yes, you will see dust like stuff with lights and using sand filters.
I have been told DE filters help with night lighted water with much better filtration.
I would say yes! :cheers:
Hold less than 1ppm drop overnight, your CC'.5 or less and water is clear!
Let your chlorine levels come down and maintain your normal levels with your CYA.
Just keep it a little on the high side for the next week or so just for you to get a feel of how much you will lose on a daily basis.
I was losing as much as 5ppm in 24 hrs with the heat and sun here in Florida now, so I upped my CYA this week to 50ppm from 40ppm.
I does appear that will help me some. I only lost 4ppm today, I'll test my CYA in a couple of days.
Chuck

latest numbers

FC 7.5
CC 0
PH 7.4 or 7.5
TA 120-130
CH 120
CYA less than 30 but most likely 20 given it was so cloudy and i added enough CYA to get me to about 25-30ppm

I'm going to be bumping my CYA levels up to 50ppm this week as the pool now looks great. should I lower the TA? and is the PH okay at 7.4?

how low does the FC need to be before I can go for my first swim ever in this pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
squirreltech said:
should I lower the TA?
I wouldn't...it should come down on it's own each time you add acid to drop the ph.

squirreltech said:
and is the PH okay at 7.4?
Yes, since you TA is a little higher, that should cause your ph to go up. When it get up to 7.7-7.8 then lower it back down to 7.2.

squirreltech said:
how low does the FC need to be before I can go for my first swim ever in this pool?
Get in there! As long as FC is below your shock level you can swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.