Update pool motor to vs, now no pool/spa functions working. Please help!

May 7, 2018
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I am pool newbie, so please be gentle. I purchased a house 6 months ago that had a Jandy Aqualink system with very loud non-VS motor. I decided to upgrade to VS. Called a local and reputable (so I thought) local pool company and they recommended Hayward Tristar 950 expert line which was installed. Prior to installation, I asked if this motor works seamlessly with my system and was told yes. Unfortunately, since installation I can no longer turn on pool functions from my remote.

WHAT WORKS: automated cleaning works. Motor comes on at a slow speed at midnight, runs until 8 am and runs at high speed 8 am to 10 am then shuts off.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK: when I try to turn on pool or spa mode, Motor display lights up, valves turn for spa mode, but motor doesn't prime and displays "running at 0 RPM" or something like that. I can make it run by pressing one of the 4 various speed buttons on the unit itself. Then everything runs normally including heater.

Long story short, I am not going back to the original installer since I am not happy with the way they handled the situation. Before I pay someone more money, is this something I can fix/program myself? It seems there is communication going between Jandy controller and Hayward motor. Also, I called Hayward CS a few times and they blaming the installer for wiring something incorrectly (without even allowing me to finish a sentence). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. TIA!

The Tristar can't really communicate with the Jandy automaton.

They should have installed a Jandy VS pump.

The Tristar can be controlled by relays, but the system needs to know that the relays are controlling the pump.

Thank you for your reply. So you are saying they lied to me and installed a pump which is not compatible with my current system, correct?

Since i already have this motor, what would you recommend I do now? Hire someone else to wire it properly? Thanks.

The variable speed pumps are only really compatible with the automation systems from the same manufacturer.

The Tristar is not fully compatible with the Aqualink automation.

About the best that you can do is to set the automation to a two-speed pump configuration and use the relays for a two-speed pump to control the pump using relay control.

A variable speed pump should always match the automation for full compatibility.

The variable speed pumps are only really compatible with the automation systems from the same manufacturer.

The Tristar is not fully compatible with the Aqualink automation.

About the best that you can do is to set the automation to a two-speed pump configuration and use the relays for a two-speed pump to control the pump using relay control.

A variable speed pump should always match the automation for full compatibility.

Thanks again for your reply. It doesn't sound like I can do this myself. I guess I will have to spend more $$$ to get this to work.

You can program the pump from the pump controller but the system needs to know when the pump is on to know when the SWG can be operated.

Maybe ask the company to return and install a Jandy pump that will communicate with the Jandy Aqualink.

How old is the system?

Aqualink is about 5 years old. I am sure I can't return the pump since this mostly paid by local power company program. So I am stock with this configuration for now. I am happy with pool cleaning function of the pump and its working. All I need to figure out how to do is to program the pump so that I can use my remote to turn on pool/spa.

I think that I would ask the company to return and replace the pump with one that will work with your automation.

That's what you asked for and that's what they agreed to.

The local power company doesn't care what VS pump you get. So, that's irrelevant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.