Unknown leak

May 12, 2015
Augusta, GA
I'm losing 1-2 inches per day from my pool. So far it doesn't seem that be going below the outlet jet, but that may be just because I haven't let it go long enough without adding water. I let the chlorine dip low for a couple of days, so I shocked the pool and brushed the walls and pool floor thoroughly over the course of two days. I left town on a Friday and returned on Sunday to find the level had dropped about 3 inches. I checked all the pump and sand filter piping and can't find any evidence of a leak there. I looked at the liner around the level that he water had dipped to and didn't find any damage.

Any tips on how to diagnose the leak?

Here is an article on detecting leaks Pool School - Leak Detection. Read how to do the bucket test in the article to verify you have a leak and it is not evaporation. I am always amazed how much water I lose to evaporation, especially this time of year. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I read the article. I'm sure this is not evaporation as it was a sudden change without any significant change in weather. For reference I haven't had to add water all season except for times when my kids have done excessive splashing. It is now dropping 1-2 inches in 24 hours.

I guess my next step should be to let it drop below the level of the plumbing to determine if there's still a leak so I can tell if it's the liner or the plumbing?

the water will stop dropping just below the leak... the only issue is if the leak is in the bottom but it will stop :)

If you can narrow it down to where you think there may be a tear you can use food dye near that area to see if the dye will be "sucked into" the leak/tear. I haven't had great success with this approach, but others have been able to identify a tear. The water has to be perfectly still and you can drop a few drops of blue food dye near the suspected area and see if the dye moves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.