Unhappy with gunite shoot - assumed slope of social/play/sport pool?

Mar 23, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hi there - Our gunite was just shot last Thursday and I don't know how I feel about the slopes. The pool is rectangular 14X32, but the first ~8 feet are sunshelf/steps, meaning the swimming area is ~24 feet long. The plan was 3.5 to 5 to 4. Technically I think it falls within this range, but the slopes are at the beginning rather than the end, leaving ~15 feet in 4.5+feet of water (in the middle of the pool), which doesn't seem ideal. I had assumed the ends would be rather flat (for about 5-6 feet) and then start sloping, or just be a gradual slope. On the 3.5 foot side, there is 13" of slope in the first 6 feet and another 6" of slope for the next 6 feet leading to the middle of the pool. On the 4" side, there is really only about 6 linear inches where it is 4 feet, and that is being generous. For that side, approximately 8 inches of slope for the first 6 feet and then 5" the last 6 feet leading to the middle. I would like it to be the exact opposite. Really my pool only has about 4 linear feet where the water is 4' or less. We have 3 kids, which I know will grow, but I'm only 5'5" and seems like most of the pool will be above my shoulders. So I guess my question is, was I crazy assuming the slopes would be nearer the center or more gradual? I never actually saw a diagram of the slopes (which in hindsight, I should have insisted on). Is there a standard/assumed slope for social/sport pools? Thanks!!

Hi there - Our gunite was just shot last Thursday and I don't know how I feel about the slopes. The pool is rectangular 14X32, but the first ~8 feet are sunshelf/steps, meaning the swimming area is ~24 feet long. The plan was 3.5 to 5 to 4. Technically I think it falls within this range, but the slopes are at the beginning rather than the end, leaving ~15 feet in 4.5+feet of water (in the middle of the pool), which doesn't seem ideal. I had assumed the ends would be rather flat (for about 5-6 feet) and then start sloping, or just be a gradual slope. On the 3.5 foot side, there is 13" of slope in the first 6 feet and another 6" of slope for the next 6 feet leading to the middle of the pool. On the 4" side, there is really only about 6 linear inches where it is 4 feet, and that is being generous. For that side, approximately 8 inches of slope for the first 6 feet and then 5" the last 6 feet leading to the middle. I would like it to be the exact opposite. Really my pool only has about 4 linear feet where the water is 4' or less. We have 3 kids, which I know will grow, but I'm only 5'5" and seems like most of the pool will be above my shoulders. So I guess my question is, was I crazy assuming the slopes would be nearer the center or more gradual? I never actually saw a diagram of the slopes (which in hindsight, I should have insisted on). Is there a standard/assumed slope for social/sport pools? Thanks!!

I can't really answer your question, but I'm sure someone will - lots of wisdom here! I can show you my cross-section for my pool though, & I'm assuming it is pretty typical as far as how they slope the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does not matter what the anyone's else slope is. It matters if you are not happy with yours. Is there any way you can show us a picture showing us what you mean? Have some one take a pic laying on the coping of someone standing in different parts of the pool showing the slopes maybe???

They CAN add more gunite if you want! Do NOT allow them to plaster until you are happy!

Kim:kim:

Unfortunately your challenge is the length of the swimmable pool (24'). That depth profile is very common, but in longer pools. We have a 34' long rectangular (ish) swimmable pool with the same depths. I also thought we would have some flat shallow ends but we don't. It also didn't help that our 4' depth starts more like 4'2". The slopes basically start at the wall. My 1.5' slope over 17 feet is noticeable to me and we also have a lot of pool over 4'. In hindsight I wish we went 3.5'/5'/3.5' for this reason, or maybe even scrapped the sports depth altogether.

I'm curious, what did your PB say when you designed a sports pool at that length? And did they propose the depths or was that your call?

I'm sorry you didn't get what you expected. The only thing I could think of to make it better is to add gunite to 4' side making it 3.5' and regrading the slope. But that may not be cheap if your PB doesn't pitch in.

I think they are going to come and shoot more gunite. I should know a definite this week. The PB doesn't think it will be a problem and it should work out, but it depends if the gunite guy will warranty it to my PB who warranties it to me. The gunite people have been moving offices/warehouses and have been backed up by weather, etc. I'll update later...

I think they are going to come and shoot more gunite. I should know a definite this week. The PB doesn't think it will be a problem and it should work out, but it depends if the gunite guy will warranty it to my PB who warranties it to me. The gunite people have been moving offices/warehouses and have been backed up by weather, etc. I'll update later...

That's great! I hope you get the depths that you want!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took awhile, but they raised the floor! The depths on the ends and middle didn't really change, but the slopes are better. Only 2-4" added in most areas but it makes a huge difference. On my next pool (which will likely never happen), I will know to request a cross section. Oh well, all's well that ends well. Here a a few pics of before and after but I'm guessing they don't really show anything. This is the after, have to figure out how to shrink the size of the before or put in another post. Really tech savvy over here

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.