amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I received the Evo614iq from Marina pools last Monday, started using it Wednesday (thunderstorms the first two days, didn't want to fry it first time out🙄.)

Our pool has well water fill giving us a TA of 180 initially, now down to 140. For the first 3 weeks, i use TRICHLOR tabs to add CYA than switch to liquid chlorine once I hit 35-40. Initially, my pH was running fine around 7.4-7.6. Switching to liquid chlorine, started drifting up 7.6-7.8. After using the Evo for two cycles, my pH was up to 8.0 + Now, one of the reasons I wanted a robot was to help with water circulation. Two liner replacements ago, we lost the main drain in favor of a mud sucker due to high water table. Since then, I've had to leave the vacuum in overnight every few days to circulate the bottom (pool is very lightly used ). Watching the Evo vigorously bubble the water to the surface I was satisfied circulation was likey improved. Then up went the pH and i remembered the thing about aeration, off gassing CO2. An unintended consequence so i now have 2 gals muriatic in my possession and husband had been deployed to add acid every half day until i get to 7.0 then i will bubble every means possible (eyeballs up and Evo deployed ( unless someone thinks 7.0 not good for the robot, to be referred to as Pool Boy Johnny from here on out😜.)

Note - husband does the acid because I am notoriously "not careful" and I refuse to handle it!!! He, on the other hand, can change the oil on the airplane in a white suit and come away spotless.

It is best to have your pH in the 7.4 to 7.8 range. You do not want to lower than 7.0
Aeration does increase pH but it is a slow process.

I was planning on using the protocol for lowering TA in hopes of getting more stable pH in the mid 7.4-7.6 range.

Is this not the way?

We're lowering the pH slowly each dose of acid is half the previous dose and then we wait half a day. I'm down to 7.5 and I'll probably wait a day between additions to allow pool to fully mix - long time ago I calculated that it took almost 24 hours to completely filter the whole pool with EC 60 and my pump.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
We're lowering the pH slowly each dose of acid is half the previous dose and then we wait half a day. I'm down to 7.5 and I'll probably wait a day between additions to allow pool to fully mix - long time ago I calculated that it took almost 24 hours to completely filter the whole pool with EC 60 and my pump.
With the TA of your fill water, fighting back pH rise will be continuing battle for you when evaporation levels are the highest. Sounds like you have a good grasp on what you need to do.

With the TA of your fill water, fighting back pH rise will be continuing battle for you when evaporation levels are the highest. Sounds like you have a good grasp on what you need to do.
Thanks. Yeah - tested my house water last night. TA is 300. Usually fill water is not a big deal as we are in western NY and usually get lots of rain in summer. We were supposed to have our new liner installed later summer 2021 but we had such a wet summer that the installer was way behind. Then last year we had significant drought from May onward, which was great for liner install as we have a very high water table. But not so great when I not only had to fill the pool with well water but had frequent make up water from the well. This year, we've had frequent rain so I've not added any well water. The pH issue was only minor until I started using a robot this week. Either their was a zone of alkaline water at the bottom of the deep end or the significant bubbling got rid of a bunch of CO2. Either way, popped up to 8 really quickly. Not happy about that, i assume my CL is not terribly effective at that level. Hence the crash course in acid base balance.

I don’t really understand this. Lower your ph to 7.2 which will also lower your ta with one dose of acid then aerate to increase ph without raising TA. After ph rises to around 8 do repeat the process until ta is where you want to be/where ph rise seems to slow. This is usually somewhere around 60-80 for most.
There’s no need to do 1/2 doses or break them up or whatever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t really understand this. Lower your ph to 7.2 which will also lower your ta with one dose of acid then aerate to increase ph without raising TA. After ph rises to around 8 do repeat the process until ta is where you want to be/where ph rise seems to slow. This is usually somewhere around 60-80 for most.
There’s no need to do 1/2 doses or break them up or whatever.
I don't want to overshoot.

I'm laughing - our whole pool season is maybe 3 months! And after a very brief heat wave tonight's temps are down in the 50s with next week's highs only low 70s. So this is the beginning of the end for us. Pool always gets too cold by the 2nd week of August for any but the most determined grandchildren.

As for TA/pH - goal is to be able to use Pool Boy Johnny without shooting pH up to 8 or beyond. Current pH is sitting at 7.5 and holding - no thunderstorms tomorrow so I'll run Johnny again and see how it goes. Any appreciable rise and we'll add acid to get closer to 7 to eat up some of that TA.

I will say it is quite entertaining to sit and watch the little robot putter all over the pool. Or maybe I'm just becoming demented in my old age😜

140-150. Our full water is a well, water out of kitchen faucet has TA 300
you’ve got a ways to go with ta so if your acid doses are yielding what
PoolMath estimates & it seems that your volume is correct don’t worry about overshooting.
Dose to 7.2 - let ph rise again, repeat 🔁
Test ta every few rounds so you you get the most accuracy when using poolmath.

Am using pool math. Plus Taylor acid demand test.
Don’t worry with the acid demand just use
PoolMath.
Even if you got ph a scootch below 7 it would rise pretty quickly with your ta so high.
You can also point your jets up to help increase the ph more quickly so you can get the show on the road & be able to lower ph/ta again sooner. If you want to be very active about lowering ta.
Once ta gets around 100 each acid dose will have a more noticeable effect on TA.
Or you could just do it slowly as needed when ph naturally climbs - up to you really.

I agree with mdragger. Your season is so short, don’t monkey around with small acid doses. Shoot for 7.2 and even if you overshoot a bit, it will not take long for PH to rise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.