Uneven Pebble Sheen finish

dTor

Jul 22, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Loooooong story short, our pool was resurfaced with the Stone Scapes version of pebble sheen about a year ago. Had some issues with PB, he finally came out last week to acid wash to get rid of a lot of dark splotches in the finish.
Now, we have a bunch of light splotches. It's not just discoloration, though. It is clear in person (not so much from photos), that there are a lot of areas where the pebbles were not mixed well and it's just concrete, or whatever aggregate is used to mix the colored pebbles in with.
Fortunately, because of the year-long wait for the PB to finish the job, he never collected the other half of the payment. I am going to have him come back out to inspect, but is there a fix for this besides a complete redo? Aside from the aesthetics, will this be harmful to the pool finish in the long run? Should I just try to negotiate a significantly lower total price?
12,000 gal saltwater pool.3.jpg4.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty much normal in color variations. I'm sure the acid wash did some damage, more harm than good, and now you are seeing areas where more plaster base is showing and less in some areas.
If it was discoloration in the blue pebble, I would agree. However, it looks like the pebble has been stripped from the surface, or never existed at all, and it's just straight concrete. I know it just looks like discoloration of the pebble in the pics, but I can assure you there is no blue pebble in those light spots.

Are the light blotches in the same areas as the dark blotches prior to the acid wash?
When I expand the photo I still see color variations in the color of the plaster and I understand that it’s more prevalent in person but is the area of your concern in the middle of the picture that’s been expanded?
Their is no correction for this situation that would match the surrounding plaster short of complete removal of existing plaster and this appears to be cosmetic.
Reason for this occurring could be many, possibly from the batch of mixed product being short of pebble, product sitting in hopper too long before being pumped and allowing the heavier pebble to settle.
I also provided a picture of a Pebble Fina finished product to compare.

Attachments

• AC9D6D49-DDB1-4C49-A8B9-1149141F9C6B.jpeg
    AC9D6D49-DDB1-4C49-A8B9-1149141F9C6B.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 3688D487-1C3F-4F3F-A0BD-5C4F5D418642.jpeg
    3688D487-1C3F-4F3F-A0BD-5C4F5D418642.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 26
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.