Understanding Pumps

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
So because this year hasn't been hard enough on my family ... I am now dealing with a burnt up pump. A little history: came home from a trip a couple weeks ago to water so low it wasn't pulling into the skimmers and 0 pressure. Noticed a few week prior to that that the pump was leaking in between where the pump basket and the motor is (seal possibly?) however, filter still holding normal pressure. Unfortunately, at this time we were constantly at work or sitting with my father in hospice, and frankly family first goes without saying. Fast forward a few weeks, the father-in-law passed and my kids and I go on our scheduled trip and husband stays home, works all hours of the day, comes and leaves at dark so couldn't actually see water level. Anywho! Fast forward a week, I come home from my PT job to find the pump screaming and seized up. I've been told this is not fixable.

Question:

We have a 300lb sand filter. Currently a 3/4hp pump. How do I know which pump to buy? Can I upgrade my hp to 1hp? Does brand REALLY matter in the long run? What is the difference between single speed and variable speed?

Please feel free to respond via thread or private message.

TIA.

That is likely not worth trying to repair. Brand only matters if you intend to get a variable speed pump AND pool automation. You want to match the pump to the automation brand so they can talk to each other. Otherwise, no. More horsepower isn't likely needed either.

Your pump is not likely variable speed, it is most likely single speed, unless there is a hi/lo switch on the back. A 3/4hp or 1hp Pentair Superflo or Hayward Super Pump in 2 speed is a great choice. A 2 speed pump will save a lot of money over a single speed. You can move half the water volume for 25% of the electric cost on low. Low speed is plenty for most filtering needs.

If you are interested in variable speed
The Pentair Superflo VS and the Hayward Super Pump VS both come in 1.5hp as VS pumps.

I replaced a very old 1.5HP pump with a 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump. I rarely run it above 50% and its advantages over the old one are obvious. Aside from general reliability (absent with the old one; sometimes it would prime, other times,not) the new pump runs very quiet and my energy costs are considerably lower. Also qualified for a $275 rebate from my utility co.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.