Understanding Pool Returns

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
I have three pool returns and I’m trying to understand how they function. Generally when I’m in the pool I find very little if any flow coming from the return jets. I do have an in-floor cleaning system for two pool ledges, the entry step and pad, and the attached spa which I leave in the cleaning mode all of the time. I am guessing that water coming back to the pool is diverted through the pop-ups rather than coming through the return jets. Is this correct? Should I be doing something different? Also, with respect to the return jets, the jet in the shallow end and one of the deep end jets are pointed in the same direction, but the other jet in the deep end is pointed back towards the other deep end jet. Shouldn’t all jets be pointed in the same direction to achieve a circular flow around the pool?

The eyeballs (jets) should be facing and shooting water in the pool. Yes, your in-floor system is restricting flow. Shut off the system (with whichever valves control them) and you should be able to feel the difference in pressure. A friend of mine had 2 pop-up heads (the canister was empty). During a liner change, they were removed, and the piping eliminated (new shut off valves, etc.), and this changed the whole dynamics of the pool. There is not enough balance (pressure) between the supply and return, which is usually because of the 1.5" plumbing and the pump/filter combination.

It appears you have many returns, and you will have to pick and choose what to use and when. Please keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.