Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a problem with my upgrade plan.

I wanted to use all Pentair equipment to include the IntelliCenter and IC60. Unfortunately that combo doesn’t come as a package from Pentair. The company I am working with won’t buy it from Polytec. They want to use the IntelliCenter with IC40, add the IC60, and then charge me a 50% restocking fee to take back the IC40.

I won’t do that which leaves me with a few less than perfect options. I can buy the panel with the cell I want and install it myself but I will only get a 60 day warranty. I need to decide if the cost saving makes that viable. I could also change plans completely and eliminate the IntelliCenter.

Another option is to go with the IC40 system and upgrade to the IC60 when it needs to be replaced. One advantage to that is the 3 year bundle warranty on everything. With my pool holding 37,000 gallons I guess I will need to run the Intelliflo pump 24 hours to generate enough chlorine.

In that scenario can I add some liquid chlorine occasionally if needed? Are there any other potential problems with cutting it close on the cell size?

An IC40 will work ok on a 37,000 gallon pool in PA. If you were in TX it would be a different story. PA does not have the same chlorine demand as places in the South.

I used an IC40 for a few years on my 35K pool in NJ.

Get the system with the IC40. If it really is not working well for you you can probably sell it slightly used and replace it with an IC60. But I think the IC40 will work fine for a few years until you replace it.

Other than slam, do you ever need to add liquid chlorine?
Yes, occasionally. A 1X or 2X unit can't rapidly raise your FC, so whenever you miss an adjustment and are low, you need to boost it immediately with LC. Or for boosting FC because storms (before or after) or get togethers.

What is the price of the IC40 system installed ? If you DIY you might save enough to replace a component of the system with no warranty and still break even, and have the larger unit.

What is the price of the IC40 system installed ? If you DIY you might save enough to replace a component of the system with no warranty and still break even, and have the larger unit.
In addition to the panel and SWG I am getting a pump, filter, and heater so those products would qualify for the extended 3 year warranty anyway. It is only the panel and cell that would lose the warranty in a DIY. I would also potentially open the door for an argument over fault if the components are not installed together.

As for pricing labor was quoted as a total line item, not per component. I just got a little better deal and for the parts only I would pay an extra $509 for the system installed with the IC60 vs the IC40. Labor would be the same for either. The IC60 is more expensive than the IC40 so the ding is really probably closer to $200 to $300.

Looking at it that way I guess I should just bite the bullet and do the IC60 package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Other than slam, do you ever need to add liquid chlorine?

No, but I always run my FC hot a few PPM extra which gives more buffer.

I always have a few gallons of liquid chlorine sitting around from Spring startup before the SWG gets running.

In my opinion, the IC40 will work just fine.

It can produce 1.4 lbs per day and this is 22.4 oz, which is 4.5 ppm per day.

As long as you maintain the FC correctly, the cell should be able to keep up.

You can run the pump 24/7 if necessary.

I do not think that you would ever get to a point where you need to run at 100% 24/7.

Also, are you sure about the pool volume?

What are the dimensions for length, width and depth?

Last edited:
Also, are you sure about the pool volume?

What are the dimensions for length, width and depth?
It is a free form.

6400.JPG
I have the blueprint. It lists the volume as 37,000. When using Pool Math I get the expected results of adding chemicals based on that volume.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
It sounds like you have a good way forward with the IC40+swap later, but I'll inject that my personal policy has been to DIY and self-insure whenever possible rather than scamper after a warranty by hiring someone.

Why? On my own pool and in many TFP articles there is so much evidence of bad work by so-called professionals that I prefer doing it myself even with the risks 1) that I'll make an error and 2) that something will break in a way where the warranty would be useful. To me these risks are far outweighed by having things 100% within my own control: no hassle of finding a trustworthy tech or dealing with an untrustworthy one who fooled me. Less chance of time spent on the phone trying to make a warranty claim is another plus. Dante missed that one in the nine circles. Finally, just knowing my own hands did the work is a satisfaction in itself.

Risk 1) can be minimized with careful study and asking questions on TFP. 2), as others have mentioned, is at least partly mitigated by saving hundreds or thousands of install dollars and not paying - at least in some cases - a good chunk more than direct-from-vendor prices for equipment.

Ymmv of course. Some won't have the time, energy, or DIY experience to make a go. Yada yada. I'd for sure quickly hire someone for a problem I didn't understand or have equipment to solve. Say a tricky leak, knock on wood. Just thought I'd mention this viewpoint. So far in six fair-sized projects during 3.5 years, it's worked out well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
It sounds like you have a good way forward with the IC40+swap later, but I'll inject that my personal policy has been to DIY and self-insure whenever possible rather than scamper after a warranty by hiring someone.

Why? On my own pool and in many TFP articles there is so much evidence of bad work by so-called professionals that I prefer doing it myself even with the risks
In general that has been my philosophy over the many years I have owned this pool. In the early years I even had "highly reputable" companies cause damage and claim it was a product failure and not their fault. I did install my heater and chlorinator myself many years ago but I had help for the electrical connections that is no longer available.

I am also the type of person who never springs for extended warranties. Having said that I did purchase one on the Betta skimmer after reading on here of the likelihood of needing it. That turned out to be a smart move. In the case of the Pentair extended warranty if I can get it I'll take it. Other than the issue with the restocking fee on the IC40 the price for the job is reasonable without massive markups.

The size and complexity of this job has me wanting it done for me at my stage of life. I had the company I am discussing the job with close the pool and was happy with their work and communication. I have as much confidence in their ability to do it properly as I am ever going to get hiring someone.

In my opinion, the IC40 will work just fine.

It can produce 1.4 lbs per day and this is 22.4 oz, which is 4.5 ppm per day.
Is there a way to convert that 1.4 lbs to gallons (or ounces) of liquid bleach? I know how much of that I typically use and that would answer the question of the IC40 being good enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there a way to convert that 1.4 lbs to gallons (or ounces) of liquid bleach?
It's 4.5 FC per 24 hours, or 1.65 gallons in your 37k pool.

Open PoolMath and click effects of adding in the upper left menu. Select SWG, and use 1.4 as the IC40 output. (The IC60 is 2.0). Then you can play around with runtime % and hours to see how much it will produce.

Open PoolMath and click effects of adding in the upper left menu. Select SWG, and use 1.4 as the IC40 output. (The IC60 is 2.0). Then you can play around with runtime % and hours to see how much it will produce.

Thanks, that indicates the IC40 will do the job.

I usually use about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine daily. Sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a little less, but well within the capabilities of the IC40. That cell probably wouldn't be appropriate if I installed it with my current single speed pump but by going with a VS pump it can run just enough to generate the chlorine needed. I shouldn't need to bump it with liquid very often if at all.

Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
I shouldn't need to bump it with liquid very often if at all.
Not in PA. If you get a record high week or two, it's a week or two, and won't happen again for 5 years. Lol. The rest of the season has much less daily demand, as you've seen.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.