Under Construction - Tomball, TX

Carter Bamboo ( http://www.carterbamboo.com/ )
They are located in Brazoria county and propagate clumping bamboo with the South Texas climate in mind.
This is non-invasive, frosty tolerant bamboo of many styles and sizes.
Don't buy from the nurseries they will sell you running bamboo that is horribly invasive.

They come up to the Mercer Arboretum each Spring for those who don't want to trek down to see them.

I have several species in my yard that y'all are welcome to come an see in their mature form.
PM if interested

Sure, I need to find a different way to post pictures, Google+ changed their system and I ca no longer get direct links to my Google Picures.
Guess I will need to set up another type of picture host.
I'll take pics tomorrow and get them up, bear with me.

Pictures will not properly present the scale of what you are looking at, but you will have to use your imagination.

We got ours from a bamboo nursery in south Houston. It is definitely a clumped, not a runner. I too expect to get grief from the HOA. When they send me a letter I'll chop it and it will be right back to full height next year.

We went with what's commonly known as green hedge bamboo. We were also looking at bambusa textilis.

OMG - we are almost overrun with bamboo! It was already here when we bought our house. It grows so fast it's crazy. It's extremely tall - but makes a great screen. I have no idea what variety, but looks like we have two different types. One is almost like a vine. The leaves are a pain when they blow into the pool, but better than the black walnut tree we have [emoji33]. A fun fact is that the Atlanta Zoo will come out and prune and thin your bamboo if there is a lot. They were here last year and did a great job. Personally, I think they just ought to drop the pandas off and let them hang out in the courtyard with the pool for a while. [emoji209]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS - my landscape architect friend told me that the very best way to have bamboo is either in a planter - above or BELOW ground. That way it can be contained. Unfortunately it seems too late for our bamboo forest ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the most formal clumping variety I have. This one is by a 6' fence. About 15' tall. It is 5yrs old and the only lateral growth is tight to the original plant.
20150812_100146.jpg

Same plant from sunny side...
20150812_095812.jpg

This is a variety that is less formal. It is 2 plants 6' apart and 3 yrs old 12' high so far. It lends itself to a more hedge-like effect as it's leaves are thick all the way to the ground.
20150812_095650.jpg

This is the same variety, single plant 2 yr old in partial sun location. 9' so far.
20150812_100057.jpg

This is showing the 3 yr old plants on the left and 4 less frost tolerant ones on the right. They are 7-8 yrs old. They have been up to 25' tall, when we have multiple hard freezes they had to be cut back to the ground. This is 4 yrs regrowth.
My neighbors driveway and house are behind that. Their house is several feet elevated from my lot.
20150812_100335.jpg

More of hedge..
20150812_100357.jpg

This is showing the 3 yr old plants on the left and 4 less frost tolerant ones on the right. They are 7-8 yrs old. They have been up to 25' tall, when we have multiple hard freezes they had to be cut back to the ground. This is 4 yrs regrowth.
My neighbors driveway and house are behind that. Their house is several feet elevated from my lot.
20150812_100335.jpg

More of hedge..
20150812_100357.jpg

Just curious why did they have to be cut after the hard freezes? Did they die off at the top?

That variety dies off with multiple hard freezes. About half died to the ground, so I cut it all down.
Carter do not sell that variety anymore because to that.
It regrew 10' the next year but it is not ideal for Houston region because of this.
The other varieties I showed are frost tolerant to low 20s.

3'-4' maybe, only 6 or 8 stems if I remember correctly.
In the 1st year you get a few more but that is the plant settling in.
End if 2nd season they are starting to bush out.
3-4 season the really get established and fill out their space.

Marla you should have gone to see it in person! Only I would be looking at his pool from inside it! LOL

One day I am getting a plane ticket to TX. I will have a map with all of y'alls pool builds in it and visit every one of the pools and people. I will even be bring gifts-bleach for the pool and drinks for the people!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.