Under construction in texas - water in it finally!

shakenbake

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Been lurking for a while learning about pools. This is a wonderful forum, I appreciate having such a source.

Our pool is in flight. I thought I would share some photos with all of you as it progresses. Please ask questions, tell me we're crazy, etc.

Design:
Legault%20step%20change_thursday_001.jpg

Legault%20step%20change_thursday_002.jpg

(Umbrellas will be in holes, not stands)
Legault%20step%20change_thursday_001%20-%20Copy%20%282%29.jpg

wiring.png

plumbing.png

Construction:
DSC_6364_001.jpg

DSC_6370_007.jpg

DSC_6440_075.jpg

DSC_7014_015.jpg

DSC_7017_018.jpg

DSC_7028_029.jpg

DSC_7025_026.jpg

DSC_7006_007.jpg

DSC_7044_045.jpg

DSC_7049_050.jpg

DSC_7042_043.jpg

DSC_7050_051.jpg

DSC_7059_008.jpg

DSC_7072_021.jpg

DSC_7078_027.jpg

DSC_7081_030.jpg

DSC_7082_031.jpg

DSC_7083_032.jpg

DSC_7084_033.jpg

DSC_7105_054.jpg

Re: Under construction in texas

bk406 said:
My god you have nothing but ledge under your yard. And shallow too. That must have cost a fortune to hammer all that out.
Fill and cement would have been more I'm told. It was fixed bid, so did not end up too bad. 2 weeks of excavation, it must have been brutal for the operator in 100+ degree texas heat.

Txmat said:
Rather typical of parts of Texas including my back yard. That's why I have an above ground. Shakenback you have a beautiful pool and backyard oasis.
Thanks. I was getting tired of the lawn dying every year - Austin is pretty strict on water usage.

Hey, Shakenbake,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: What a great pictorial. I am completely impressed with your pool builder. It looks like his folks have done a great job to this point. That will be one georgeous pool.

I'll be the first to admit my ignorance. I do not understand the function of the three large rectangular devices (one with grillework) in the deepend. Help!!

VERY, VERY well thought out pool. Can't wait to see more progress!! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Are you crazy? Heck no! :lol:

I am a big fan of multiple umbrellas and your pics look amazing!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Keep us updated :-D

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Makes me feel a lot better - I don't have a frame of reference for judging the construction quality. They are highly recommended in Austin, and we've had great luck - but I'm kind of a control freak, so I've been a bit nervous not having the experience to run the project myself.

The 3 large grates are for a Riverflow swimming pump - basically a variable speed 10HP pump that pushes a stream of water into the pool that simulates swimming continuously. My wife is really into swimming for exercise, and I plan to learn too. The two bottom grates (one missing a grate) are the intakes, and center at the top is the jet/return.

It's really hard to be patient!

Looks great. Maybe a bit crazy, but it'll be a ton of fun. Good luck.

We just completed our pool in Austin, and have had our first week of swimming! We went with Ocean Quest Pools, no complaints. Who is doing your pool? Did the city make you plant other trees because you cut some down, or are you outside the city limits?

Kelly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

kellyj said:
Looks great. Maybe a bit crazy, but it'll be a ton of fun. Good luck.

We just completed our pool in Austin, and have had our first week of swimming! We went with Ocean Quest Pools, no complaints. Who is doing your pool? Did the city make you plant other trees because you cut some down, or are you outside the city limits?

Kelly

Pool Pro - they've been very solid so far. We're likely to be ice skating on this thing before we get to swim in it.

Tree-wise, I guess we're outside city limits - though the homeowners association "architectural committee", chaired by the neighbor directly behind us, has asked us to plant 2-3 big trees.

I'm in LOVE!! :bowdown: :bowdown: Beautiful design!! You'll need all the umbrella shade you can get for our Texas sun. Please let us know the tile, coping, etc. materials you're using asap...I'm so curious (I do see some flagstone, etc. on the drawing). Will be watching the rest of the build with bated breath. Congrats! :cheers:

Lershac said:
Man I bet your neighbors were glad when the jackhammerring was over.

We felt awful, cookies and margs for everyone when this is done.

Pisces said:
I'm in LOVE!! :bowdown: :bowdown: Beautiful design!! You'll need all the umbrella shade you can get for our Texas sun. Please let us know the tile, coping, etc. materials you're using asap...I'm so curious (I do see some flagstone, etc. on the drawing). Will be watching the rest of the build with bated breath. Congrats! :cheers:

Thanks! We're getting close on the materials, it's more complicated than I expected

shakenbake said:
Tree-wise, I guess we're outside city limits - though the homeowners association "architectural committee", chaired by the neighbor directly behind us, has asked us to plant 2-3 big trees.
Did you tell him that he can come over and clean up the mess those trees put into the pool then? Not to mention the trees roots can get into your piping over time...pop your decking...all kinds of stuff just because he lives behind you and missed a tree or two.
Big trees are not cheap either. I would tell him where to go, but that is just me.
Never been a fan of HOA's myself (does it show? hehe), but that is just silly to ask you to mess up what you just put in.

danbutter said:
shakenbake said:
Did you tell him that he can come over and clean up the mess those trees put into the pool then? Not to mention the trees roots can get into your piping over time...pop your decking...all kinds of stuff just because he lives behind you and missed a tree or two.
Big trees are not cheap either. I would tell him where to go, but that is just me.
Never been a fan of HOA's myself (does it show? hehe), but that is just silly to ask you to mess up what you just put in.

I don't have a problem with the concept of an HOA, just the people the jobs attract.

...I think we'll end up with one new tree for shade. Done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.