Unable to balance

striperseeker

Jun 11, 2020
Western Maryland
I'm new to the forum and to the TFP method of using liquid chlorine. I have a great supplier where I get 13% liquid Chlorine from and I store it in a 60 gallon drum for the season. Pool is approx 24k gallons and I put 1.5 quarts in every evening. Our pH is still high even though I put in Muiractic acid to lower. TA is very high - around 180 - 200. I have the TFT large test kit that we do daily. No matter what we do, the TC is around 1 and the FC is around zero. CYA around 30. Do I just keep putting in chlorine and acid until it's good? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

A couple things jump out at me....
When are you testing your chlorine levels?
1.5 qt is 2ppm worth of chlorine. You should aim to bring your chlorine up to the target, which is for a CYA of 30 is 4-6. https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/chlorine-cya-chart/

Let the experts chime in, but I would say you need to slam:

Once you pass the slam exit criteria, make sure you bring your chlorine up to 6 every time you put chlorine in.

Pool is approx 24k gallons and I put 1.5 quarts in every evening.

You simply are not putting enough chlorine in the pool. This 1.5 quarts you add is only enough to raise your FC by 2 in your pool. A normal clear pool will burn through that and them some on a daily basis, and you mentioned you see algae so its going to consume more than that on a daily basis.

Thanks for the signature! Have you used the Pool Math page? Theres also an app if you are an app person. It will tell you how much chlorine you need to add to get to your levels. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool
You probably will have to do a SLAM.
Yes sir, I have used the Pool Math App. How do I know how much liquid Chlorine to add to get the recommended ppm? I see on the chart if CYA = X, FC should by Y, etc. but where do I find how much will get me there? A gallon? A quart? I can't find it.
TIA.

Yes sir, I have used the Pool Math App. How do I know how much liquid Chlorine to add to get the recommended ppm? I see on the chart if CYA = X, FC should by Y, etc. but where do I find how much will get me there? A gallon? A quart? I can't find it.
TIA.
For the app, first log your test results when you do the water tests. Click "new log" then "log test results". Fill in any numbers you tested (leave blank ones you did not test) and click the check mark to save.
Screenshot_20200710-091501.png

Now your test results should be on the "overview" page. They will list time since the last of each test was done. You can see I tested FC, pH, CYA, and temp this morning, TA yesterday, and CH 17 days ago.
Screenshot_20200710-091521.png

Now that your test results are logged, click the FC box on the above screen. You can enter your target FC level, type of chlorine and concentration, and it will spit out how much to add to reach that level.
Screenshot_20200710-091537.png

Reactions: striperseeker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.