Umbrella sleeves in concrete decking NJ bad idea?

Liz315

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2020
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So our concrete pad was framed up today and they will pour tomorrow. I asked the contractor if we can do umbrella sleeves and he said yes but he doesn’t recommend them because if water gets in there and freezes it will crack the concrete. I’m sure he’s right but how big of a problem is it? I don’t want to regret not putting them in if it’s not a huge worry.
I’m in NJ so we do have a freeze and thaw cycle. Are the caps pretty water tight? Do they even hold the umbrellas tight or will they blow away, do u need special ones to fit in there. I never had any so I have no reference. I just know I hate trying to find something to weigh down regular ones and they aren’t very pretty.

I have 2 umbrella sleeves on my 14" deep sundeck. Both are around 6" deep. They hold umbrellas well but a strong gust has lifted them out before. I have never had an issue with cracking due to freeze. They do get full of junk though and if you don't run a hose in them to flush them out, you'll end up with a super stinky mess. The screw tops are not water tight and you will frequently need plyers to get the tops off (well at least getting them started) as they tend to stick when all the way on. We like them a lot and like having an umbrella right in the sundeck.

1618491681475.png
1618491691353.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.