Umbrella hole in concrete decking, size help?

Jul 8, 2018
Sussex/WI
I asked my PB to put holes in the decking for umbrellas to rest in. I was advised there are two sizes and that the anchors are plastic. I don’t have a clue what size the typically umbrella hole is, anyone know what size they used? Also, is a plastic anchor really the only option? Lastly, if you have an umbrella to recommend, please send me the link! Thank you all.

Well, if you shop around for umbrellas you would know the diameter of the poles. Most aluminium poles are 1.5" in diameter. Some wooden poles are 1.37"~1.5" in diameter. Expensive wooden poles (teak or eucalyptus) are 2.5" in diameter. So, you'll be fine with most of the umbrella poles if you go with 1.5" inner diameter.

I have metal ones which have a bolt to tighten the umbrella with. They are larger than most metal umbrellas. We did put a wood umbrella in it once and left it overnight. The wood soaked up the water and swelled. My only option was to cut it off and spend an hour drilling the wood out.

Now we have metal umbrellas and use a piece of PVC (painted to match) to make it fit. Probably does not sound great, but it gives the umbrella a lot of extra support since we are in a windy area and is perfect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.