Umbrella holders in lawn/concrete suggestions

I have 2 of these installed and am very happy thus far (since April).

7091ACB2-E301-45FF-AEB9-382378ADE64A.jpeg

I was unhappy with the weighted bases on my cantilevers. I cut the bottoms off and filled them entirely with concrete and they still tipped at the slightest breeze. The poles were round (they went with square in a lot of the new ones but you can still find round ones) and I cemented schedule 40 steel pipe in the ground instead of the bases. I forget now but I used 4 or 5 bags each. I notched the pipes to accommodate the umbrella pole pins where they connected to the base as seen in pic 2. They were 2 years apart in age and OF COURSE they were different heights. Lol. So one pipe was taller. 11 ft umbrellas easily made it over the pool across the 9ft patio. Come winter or a hurricane they popped right out for storage View attachment 355296View attachment 355297
This gives me some great ideas!

Reactions: Newdude
We went with the cantilever umbrellas plus a regular umbrella on the sun shelf. We poured concrete bases and they haven't come close to tipping. Everyone congregates in the shady end.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200628_131909.jpg
    MVIMG_20200628_131909.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 56
Well, my wife decided to tackle this solo :)

We now have cantilevered umbrellas on a water filled base. I have to laugh because now she can’t move them due to the weight and they are quite cumbersome. I have no issues with the build quality, but yeah, they’re hefty.

I’ll take some pics this afternoon and post them. We did try them out yesterday and I’ll admit, functionally, they’re really good! The cantilever arm extends easily with a pull handle and the umbrella can be rotated with a simple foot pedal and then you turn the umbrella any way you want.

Edit: I was motivated to walk outside and take a pic. Sadly, I wasn’t motivated enough to open the umbrella :)

AD33644D-59B7-428F-9D14-115ACFA6C381.jpeg (No idea why it rotated 90 degrees, sorry!)

Last edited:
Lots of great ideas here! I am going to be borrowing some of them, someday!

I have to say, this pic played a trick on my eyes.
20210717_141647.png

I totally thought that tube was hovering when I first looked at it!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of great ideas here! I am going to be borrowing some of them, someday!

I have to say, this pic played a trick on my eyes.

I totally thought that tube was hovering when I first looked at it!

--Jeff
:ROFLMAO:Now that you guys mention it, I can't stop seeing it that way. It's the new "magical levitation umbrella bases"

The wind will still mess with them if not bolted to the deck. I have one with 4 water weights and a guest of wind will turn it over. I also have the weighted ones for a regular umbrella and those are really meant to be used in conjunction with a table. Umbrellas are really not good to use unless it's a calm day. I too have been looking at adding some of the built in umbrella holders around my pool deck, but don't like the idea of core drilling a hole in my concrete.

Shade sails are really the be the best bet so the wind does not mess with them. My wife also did not want wooden posts up all the time either. We wanted edison lights around the outside perimeter of my pool deck. I ended up buying 2" schedule 40 steel pipe and buried them in the ground with concrete. I painted them brown and they almost completely disappear into my landscape, you might need a different color. You can add plant hangers to them for hanging plants or bird feeders or both so they look like they serve a purpose other just for the sails.

ETA...I snapped a picture while I was home for lunch...they blend in nicely. All 3 of the poles are in this picture.
View attachment 352551
I really like your chaise loungers! Are they comfortable and weather resistant? Would you be able to share a link where you purchased them please? Thank you!

I really like your chaise loungers! Are they comfortable and weather resistant? Would you be able to share a link where you purchased them please? Thank you!
My wife ordered them from Wayfair. They sell some that look exactly like them at Home Depot. I bought her the matching tables from Home Depot and they are a perfect match. Ours are the Grey color.

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More

Home Depot (4 pack)
Noble House Miller Grey 4-Piece Wicker Adjustable Outdoor Chaise Lounge-66965 - The Home Depot

Home Depot (2 pack)
Noble House Salem Gray Wicker Outdoor Chaise Lounges with Cover (Set of 2)-16096 - The Home Depot

They are weather resistant, we are only 8-9 months into having them and they are showing no signs of wear (they are in the sun all day). I did not see the side tables on Home Depot in the Grey color now.

Reactions: trafficdoc
Probably not a great idea to use the cheap $80 umbrellas for an in-pool application. Would be fine in the deck as long as you take them down when not in use.

Best bet for in-pool or deck would be to use a umbrella with a aluminum or fiberglass pole.
The Best Patio Umbrella For Every Space | MidtownUmbrellas.com

Way too expensive. I just found a bamboo one for $70 I'll give it a whirl.

I thought the wooden ones swell up with the moisture and get stuck? Or does bamboo not swell like wood?

--Jeff
There's a lot of slop in the hole if it swells up, it should still be able to go in and out. Bamboo is fairly rot and water resistant actually being a grass. It usually only goes in when we are in the pool anyway.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
We were facing the same challenge, but with the added issue of having a good amount of artificial turf around the pool. I found these and expect they'll be a VERY sturdy option once the bottom is sunk in concrete. The above-ground post is removable, so you can remove and close the hole flush with turf/deck/concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.