South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just trying to get some ideas from the TFP audience. Our pool gets 10+ hours of direct sunlight per day and we’d love some shade/umbrella options. Rather than have weighted bases sitting on the deck, I was thinking about putting some sleeves in the ground and concrete them in place. Then we could look into cantilevered umbrellas. The only issue is that the sleeve would be a minimum of 4’ from the water edge.

We have a sun ledge in the shallow end and a bench along the back in the deep end. We’d like to be able to have shade on both ends, so whichever solution we go with

We also thought about a shade sail, etc.

Any suggestions?

Here’s a look at our layout:

DFD17103-7538-4171-9D9F-B09EF4FB2A09.jpg

Thanks!

Umbrella sleeves end up a mess full of garbage. With your setup, I would look into shade sails. 3 or 4 would look really good.

Reactions: KJB1
Umbrella sleeves end up a mess full of garbage. With your setup, I would look into shade sails. 3 or 4 would look really good.
The only caveat as that my wife doesn’t want posts up 24/7. She would prefer something that can be completely taken down and put away when not in use.

The only caveat as that my wife doesn’t want posts up 24/7. She would prefer something that can be completely taken down and put away when not in use.

I would probably just go with cantilevered umbrellas with weighted bases then. You'll want to move them anyway as the sun moves.

I would probably just go with cantilevered umbrellas with weighted bases then. You'll want to move them anyway as the sun moves.
The wind will still mess with them if not bolted to the deck. I have one with 4 water weights and a guest of wind will turn it over. I also have the weighted ones for a regular umbrella and those are really meant to be used in conjunction with a table. Umbrellas are really not good to use unless it's a calm day. I too have been looking at adding some of the built in umbrella holders around my pool deck, but don't like the idea of core drilling a hole in my concrete.

Shade sails are really the be the best bet so the wind does not mess with them. My wife also did not want wooden posts up all the time either. We wanted edison lights around the outside perimeter of my pool deck. I ended up buying 2" schedule 40 steel pipe and buried them in the ground with concrete. I painted them brown and they almost completely disappear into my landscape, you might need a different color. You can add plant hangers to them for hanging plants or bird feeders or both so they look like they serve a purpose other just for the sails.

ETA...I snapped a picture while I was home for lunch...they blend in nicely. All 3 of the poles are in this picture.
20210706_130303.jpg

Last edited:
The wind will still mess with them if not bolted to the deck. I have one with 4 water weights and a guest of wind will turn it over. I also have the weighted ones for a regular umbrella and those are really meant to be used in conjunction with a table. Umbrellas are really not good to use unless it's a calm day. I too have been looking at adding some of the built in umbrella holders around my pool deck, but don't like the idea of core drilling a hole in my concrete.

Shade sails are really the be the best bet so the wind does not mess with them. My wife also did not want wooden posts up all the time either. We wanted edison lights around the outside perimeter of my pool deck. I ended up buying 2" schedule 40 steel pipe and buried them in the ground with concrete. I painted them brown and they almost completely disappear into my landscape, you might need a different color. You can add plant hangers to them for hanging plants or bird feeders or both so they look like they serve a purpose other just for the sails.

ETA...I snapped a picture while I was home for lunch...they blend in nicely. All 3 of the poles are in this picture.
View attachment 352551

How about if you did the whole shade sail thing with 3 masts on each side, but then, also string up some party lights between masts. That might convince the Mrs.!

How about if you did the whole shade sail thing with 3 masts on each side, but then, also string up some party lights between masts. That might convince the Mrs.!
That could work. I have a GF protected outlet right at the midpoint of the pool, so I can get creative and run it off the Intellicenter. Hmmm….

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got them from Palm Casual which is a local outdoor living store. I don't remember the cost exactly, but think they were around $300. They have 150 pounds of weights in the bases but are remarkably easy to roll.

I have one of these.
Very pleased with the quality especially considering the price.

Just be careful with these cheap chinese Amazon umbrellas. I bought one very similar to the one you posted and got a ton of rust in my pool from this supposedly aluminum OUTDOOR umbrella. I tossed it not worth the effort. I just wait until Home Depot has the nice ones on sale.

I almost have my convinced to go with a shade sail. However; she wants something where I can take down the posts. Might have to get creative.

I almost have my convinced to go with a shade sail. However; she wants something where I can take down the posts. Might have to get creative.

You could probably do something where your posts are in sleeves and removeable. I would say you need to go at least 24-36" deep though. And the posts themselves are going to be fairly heavy and need a storage location. Search up pics of shade sales you'll see a lot of ideas. If done well, they actually add a lot of ambience to your outdoor area. Especially at night if they are lighted, or black-light reactive or something like that.

I was unhappy with the weighted bases on my cantilevers. I cut the bottoms off and filled them entirely with concrete and they still tipped at the slightest breeze. The poles were round (they went with square in a lot of the new ones but you can still find round ones) and I cemented schedule 40 steel pipe in the ground instead of the bases. I forget now but I used 4 or 5 bags each. I notched the pipes to accommodate the umbrella pole pins where they connected to the base as seen in pic 2. They were 2 years apart in age and OF COURSE they were different heights. Lol. So one pipe was taller. 11 ft umbrellas easily made it over the pool across the 9ft patio. Come winter or a hurricane they popped right out for storage 3C55A1E8-3170-4A60-A731-A8E954AAE2D8.jpeg21833D0E-7569-428C-A83D-C63F0CA6599C.jpeg

I have 2 of these installed and am very happy thus far (since April).

I have both. I got some custom sized shade sails and umbrellas. The trick I found for umbrellas is get a planter/pot you like put a sleeve in it and fill with concrete. The umbrellas break before the wind will knock them over. Moveable with a hand truck. I like the painting the string/Edison light poles brown idea.

I have a new pool being put in within the next few weeks and I had been struggling for quite some time with the same dilemma. What I opted going with is 6 post sleeves made of A500 steel from a local steel distributor. The outer dimension is 4.5" x 4.5" with an inner dimension of 4"x4" which should fit a standard pressure treated 4x4 with some wiggle room. The steel is 36" long and will be primed and painted before burying them. I intend to get 4x4x12 ft pressure treated to drop in the holes and put eyelets on them for the shade sails as well as hooks for some light strings. When not in use, I'll put a shorter length of 4x4 into the hole or a cover over the top. The steel was pre-cut to my 36" length. Total cost to go pick it up was about $600.

20210717_141647.png

Reactions: Newdude
I have a new pool being put in within the next few weeks and I had been struggling for quite some time with the same dilemma. What I opted going with is 6 post sleeves made of A500 steel from a local steel distributor. The outer dimension is 4.5" x 4.5" with an inner dimension of 4"x4" which should fit a standard pressure treated 4x4 with some wiggle room. The steel is 36" long and will be primed and painted before burying them. I intend to get 4x4x12 ft pressure treated to drop in the holes and put eyelets on them for the shade sails as well as hooks for some light strings. When not in use, I'll put a shorter length of 4x4 into the hole or a cover over the top. The steel was pre-cut to my 36" length. Total cost to go pick it up was about $600.

View attachment 355941

You couldn't get stainless steel for that price?

Reactions: KJB1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.