UltraTemp ETi Hybrid Heater

Rsquared99

May 16, 2021
Florida
I am new to this board and have been trying to find reviews/comments on the Pentair ETI Hybrid heater from people that have them in use or have installed them in the field. I am having a hard time finding much actual usage information. I am building a pool in south Florida where I have no natural gas so I need to heat using propane which is very expensive. This unit seems to fit my need to be able to heat my spa quickly but then be more economical to maintain my pool temp for swimming. Can anyone provide some info or point me in the right direction to find actual usage info? Thanks

Reactions: ajw22
I originally requested my pool builder to install this and he had never heard of it. I did more research and ended up installing a Ultratemp Heatpump/chiller followed by a propane Mastertemp. I’m very happy I went this route.

I essentially use my ultratemp to maintain my desired temperature and my Mastertemp to heat the SPA.

If you check the costs you will likely find buying a separate gas heater and a heat pump costs about the same as a hybrid heater. And if one side fails you are not left with an more expensive replacement or no heater at all. With separate heaters you can replace either as necessary.

From what I can tell the ETI hybrid is only capable of 220kBTU opposed to:

Ultratemp 140kBTU
Mastertemp 400kBTU

You’ll have more Heating capacity and functionality having two heaters instead of one.

I originally requested my pool builder to install this and he had never heard of it. I did more research and ended up installing a Ultratemp Heatpump/chiller followed by a propane Mastertemp. I’m very happy I went this route.

I essentially use my ultratemp to maintain my desired temperature and my Mastertemp to heat the SPA.
Thanks for responding. So you were able to set up the spa mode to only use the gas heater. Can you set it up to use both heaters at the same time for faster pool heat ups if needed then maintain the temp with the heat pump or did you have to set up the propane heater to only heat the spa? This is all new to me and the pool builder has no familiarity with the Hybrid unit.

If you check the costs you will likely find buying a separate gas heater and a heat pump costs about the same as a hybrid heater. And if one side fails you are not left with an more expensive replacement or no heater at all. With separate heaters you can replace either as necessary.

I am having it priced up both ways, but this makes more sense if I can achieve the same functionality as the hybrid unit. Pentair literature says "High efficiency design (four selectable modes: Heat Pump only, Gasonly, Hybrid, Dual)" Can I set up the 2 separate units to do this (except for the hybid mode)? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.