Bronze Supporter
Jul 27, 2021
UK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been trying to find a good test kit that's available in the UK but it's very difficult as many of the options available in the US aren't available here. Last year I had an above ground pool setup and managed fine with a basic Lovibond 5 in 1 test kit, but it doesn't have the ability to test SLAM levels without dilution. Later this year I'm moving to a house with an in-ground vinyl liner pool and want to try and get a better test kit if possible (the pool is currently maintained by a company but I plan to do everything myself).

The main problem seems to be that very few liquid reagents are available in UK/EU. Only PH / ALK / CYA / CALC / DPD 1/3 are readily available and often in tablet form. FAS-DPD reagents seem to be banned/unavailable in the UK/EU.

This is the kit I currently have for reference: Lovibond 5 in1 Multi-Pooltester / https://www.lovibond.com/en/PW/Wate...tester-Multipooltester-5-in-1-in-plastic-case

What I can find that is available:

TestAllWater seems to have one of the largest selections available in the UK, there might be some other tests on there I've missed that would be suitable.

Things you can't buy:

So... does anyone know of a good test kit that's readily available in the UK, and if not what are people's opionions on the "best of the worst" from the list above.

Welcome to TFP Jake!

Our UK members have been challenged to find decent test kits. You've probably done a few searches here, but check out this thread:

Let's see if @UKjames or @BoringDamo have any updates.

Best wishes!

Welcome to TFP Jake!

Our UK members have been challenged to find decent test kits. You've probably done a few searches here, but check out this thread:

Let's see if @UKjames or @BoringDamo have any updates.

Best wishes!

Yes read that thread.
I bought the Lovibond agents and compared with those from that first test I got. I’m 99% sure they are actually the same. I did multiple tests following the Lovibond dosage instructions using both and always got the same number.
I’ve still got some left so are using them this year.
The only downside is there isn’t a drop test for TC only FC so I can’t actually work out CCs. I’m having to wing it on only 2 criteria (I’m literally in a small slam right now - very small amount of dead algae on pool floor that I couldn’t find source of. Realisation after a few days of brushing etc that it was actually in my solar cover bubbles on an edge that wasn’t sealed. Of course cover was never on the pool when I was looking!!!)
The rest of the test seems ok (except it doesn’t have CH), I monitor FC, CYA, PH, and TA (very occasionally).
I’d still love a FAS-dpd test but alas doesn’t exist in uk.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I did have a read of @UKjames 's thread and my own attempts to find something have proven just as difficult.

@BoringDamo I remember reading your thread before I setup my Bestway SteelPro Max last year and it was great seeing how you solved various problems with all the photos, did get me to do some proper ground preparation (I still didn't quite get it right).

At this stage I'm tempted to buy a Lovibond/Palintest photometer because it's one of the few options where the reagents are readily available at a reasonable price in the UK, even if I have to deal with dilution for testing of FC for SLAM. The pool at the house I'm moving to is "indoor" inside a conservatory style structure separate from the house so I will probably keep CYA reasonably low and not need to test for very high FC. It's likely to get use most of the year as it's got a heatpump installed as well as the house having a large solar panel installation, so I need something that'll last and is easy to restock.

Lovibond/Palintest tablet based tests (comparator or photometer) don't seem to work out too bad on the cost (around 8p per DPD No1/3).

I'm currently considering the Palintest Lumiso Pooltest 6 or Pool Lab 1.0. I've read all the threads here about similar photometers and understand the criticism but I can only work with what I can actually get hold of.

I use a Pool Lab 1.0. Works great and very similar to palintest which I used commercially for years. You can use all the palintest reagents except for alkalinity and CH which is liquid/ drop based where the palintest tabs don’t work. The software suite also is fairly robust and works well, albeit more designed for someone who is working many pools commercially.

Last edited:
I created a spreadsheet for the Pool Lab 1.0 (attached) that uses the error rates given in the manual enter the values and you will see the upper and lower bounds.
Supported dilution rates are
1 -10ml sample
2 - 5ml sample, 5ml distilled water
5 - 2 ml sample, 8ml distilled water
10 = 1ml sample, 9ml distilled water
If you don't enter a dilution rate it assumes that it is a full 10ml sample, also any other values than 1,2,5 or 10 will also assume it is a 10ml sample

The dilution and error rates tab contains the tables and gives you a glance at the values and proportions.
You will notice that once you reach a certain reading (varies from test to test) the accuracy is increased by diluting.

When Slaming you will need to dilute the free chlorine sample depending on your CYA level/Target and always use the min as the assumed amount more never hurts but less will prolong the SLAM

I haven't verified these error rates yet, I have only just found someone who will ship the Taylors test kit out to Turkey.
Once (if) I get it I will do some comparison tests to get some idea of whether the error rates are correct or not.

Attachments

• poollab_records.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 11
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.