Steppool

Jan 14, 2022
Texas
Building a pool in Dallas. Was planning to use travertine for the coping and decking but my builder said the price of the Turkish travertine we had planned to used has increased in price and suggested the we use mexican travertine instead. the samples seem smoother and less pitted on the Mexican travertine. Has anyone compared the two or have used the one from Mexico? Thanks!

Amount of pits and smoothness of travertine is more due to grade of travertine and less due to country of origin . Maybe you were looking at standard for Turkey and Premium for Mexico Travertine .
It’s mostly color ( found in specific quarry of that country ) that is country dependent. Like for ivory Travertine from Turkey is more like beige/light cream where as from Mexico it has yellow tone .
Best quality Travertine is from Italy which is much more expensive .

That is very helpful, thanks! And the Mexican ivory samples were more yellow to your point which we did like as much. And the Mexican walnut just seemed more brown with less variation as compared to the Turkish walnut which seemed to have more beige and just looked better overall.

is there any benefit to the standard vs premium other than the look? does one wear better or last longer? And is it fair to say that the version with less pitts will be more slippery when wet since this is for a pool deck? The samples just seemed really smooth and slick. Thanks again.

Normally less pits and naturally smooth travertine pavers are more expensive . Travertine is natural stone so no matter grade there will be some pits/holes for steam to escape . Lesser pits higher the grade ( commercial , standard and premium ) . Builder normally uses tumbled pavers ( holes not filled with resin etc.) for decking so they are not slippery .
Honed travertine is where pits are filled to give smooth finish and it is slippery .

And is it fair to say that the version with less pitts will be more slippery when wet since this is for a pool deck? The samples just seemed really smooth and slick. Thanks again.
Polished will be very slippery, with honed a good bit less. Tumbled will give the best grip, and will have a flat (no sheen) look and rougher finish. What holes are not filled, will fill with the swept in paver set. We installed honed, which is not slippery at all, but I prefer the more natural look of the holes that filed with the paver set over the colored epoxy holes the factory filled. I do not care for the amount of sweating the travertine does on our humid days but can live with it.

I have standard travertine and wish I upgraded to a higher quality tier. My neighbor just installed porcelain pavers and I'm very impressed. Take a look at porcelain and see if that meets your needs/budget.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.