Two-speed Relay for Pump - Cost and Other

stodds

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2016
Round Rock, TX
Hello fellow TFPers,

I want to share my experience with the failure of my two-speed relay (SPDT - single pole, double throw). I noticed that occasionally my pump would be running on high speed when it was scheduled to be running on low. Didn’t happen all the time – until it did. Of course, the timing of this event coincided with my contract expiring on my electricity rate (I live where I can shop the market for electricity), and of course my rate is 50% higher now.

I managed to swap the high- and low-speed wires at the relay so the pump would just always run on low as it was stuck on the normally closed position. Since the pump was primed, and this was temporary, no big deal in my mind.

Shopping for a replacement relay was really an interesting experience. Heard of the pink tax? You know, being charged extra for something painted pink and marketed to women, like razors, etc.? The “pool tax” is worse! Was typically finding replacements for between about $65 and about $130. One site even had the stones to advertise it for 9% off for $429.83! Oh my. Of course, all these come with wires, and a mounting bracket – none of which I need – all of which would cost, what, a buck or five?

I shopped around and managed to find an identical replacement per the specs of the original. My cost with shipping and tax was only $56.55. But, that was for ten of them! That’s right, $5.66 for a replacement. Installation was super easy.

I hope the new relay lasts for about as long as the original did, which was 6 years. At least I have nine backups. Of course, I may try to just save other people money and part with several of them. LOL - $429.83. . . .

I hope you find this information helpful!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Post the relay description, model number, and a pic of of the relay, and maybe some members will buy some of your excess stock.

Attachments

• 20230824_120001.jpg
    20230824_120001.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.