Apr 30, 2020
Tijeras, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings

I have an aging single speed 3/4 hp pentair pump that needs replacing. I know that VSP pumps are the cats meow, but due to the frequency of lightning storms in our area I am leaning towards a two speed pump without the delicate circuitry of the variable speed pumps. I was under the impression that Pentair and Hayward pumps have historically been the most reliable, but reading online reviews many people are commenting that the build quality of these pumps is not what it used to be.

I am wondering what brand of pump will give the best quality for the price. If the expensive pump is just going to die in 3 years I might as well buy a no-name pump for 1/3 of the cost, since that will last just as long. Thoughts?

Your local municipality might have something to say about what kind of pump you can buy. Check with them first. I believe one-speeds are all disallowed in a lot of places. Are two-speeds next on the hit list?

A good point. We live outside the city, so we just have a rural electric co-op. I doubt they have any guidelines on pumps, but I will look into it.

Sometimes you can get rebates based on pump model. That's something to check, too. Not sure if co-ops would be doing that, but also worth the ask.

Just heard back from our utility today - no pool pump rebates or regulations. Here in New Mexico they are very proactive on water conservation. Electricity - not so much.

:bump: Cool, green light for your plan. But that's all I got for ya. Maybe some of the other folks here can advise about the right pump for you.

Well coming from an above ground pool owner that went from a Pentair Optiflo, 1 hp, 2 speed (lasted 5 years) to a Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 hp 2 speed I can say the Hayward feels and sounds much nicer. You can't even hardly hear the thing. It's only been in operation for less than 24 hours at this point but my initial assessment is that I will be happier with it. It is easily half as loud as the old one.

Thanks for the pump comparison info.

I would love to just replace the motor and keep the pump body, but that is not an option. One reason I need a new pump is that the body is starting to crack where the bolts attach. I had a leak this summer and replaced the drive shaft bearings. I was trying to torque it up according to specs, but it started to crack way before I got it that tight. Luckily it does not leak now, but I know as times goes on the vibrations will increase the crack and start a leak. So, I need a whole new motor.

We need to understand that pool pump manufacturers do not make their own motors.
The Hayward and Pentair pumps are both fitted with motors built by AOSmith/Century.
Their pumps are good quality, although I prefer the Pentair.
The motors average about 8-10 years service life.

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Pentair Superflo 2 speed pump and love it, moves massive water on high and does great on power with low... Looks like it is 100 dollars more now, mine is 5 years old... I have a whole house surge protector and lots of lightning here also and no issues for 5 years :)

^^^ there. I was wondering if a variable speed pump with good surge protection could be a solution. I just know I wouldn't know how to run my pool without variable. I need different speeds for solar, vac, filter, swg, freeze protection, high-skim mode, etc. Whatever flow I need, I know my variable is costing me as little as possible energy-wise, because I can really dial it in to the minimum RPMs for the job, which I believe will pay for itself in short order. I used to have a two speed and I definitely saw a significant reduction in my bill each month when I switched, and I gained a bunch of usability I didn't have before.

Currently my setup is easy on the pump. Single speed pump, solar heating panels on the roof. Pool robot. Serious winters around here, so I winterize the pool. That being said, I plan on gradually bringing the pool equipment into this century. If I could protect a VSP that would be a better way to go. With either pump I will need to get a solar panel controller. Also plan on getting a SWG in a few years, which needs a lower flow option to run properly.

I really do think you should try to solve for the lightning rather than hedge your bets with sacrificial pumps. With all the gear you have and are going to have, you'll really be able to take advantage of variable speed. How do you run your solar, on high or low? Do you bypass the flow somehow, or just go with what the pump delivers. Panels have an optimal flow: too little and you don't get the heat benefit, too much and you waste pump energy ($) and wear and tear. My panels' manufacturer spec's the best flow, and with my meter and my pump I can dial that in and know I'm warming my pool to the highest possible temp at the lowest possible price. Same benefits apply to the other gear I run. Is there such a gizmo that can 100% protect a pump from a strike? I wouldn't know. If so, how much would it cost? I'd make that part of the math you're doing.

Also, if a strike can take out a VSP's electronics, does that mean the whole pump is toast? Or would the cost of the board be less than the cost of a new two-speed? See what I'm getting at?

I agree, A VSP would really be the way to go and with a whole house and a pump surge protector I really think you would be fine :)

If a lighting strike takes out your pool pump, it will take out your automation and a whole host of other stuff in your house.

Go VSP. Your power bill will thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.