Two speed pump question

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
I'm considering replacing my aging single speed pump with a two speed pump (don't want a variable speed pump for reasons specific to my setup). I would like it to run on low speed most of the time for maybe 12 hours a day and high speed for heating, cleaning (polaris), etc. But I'm wondering if it will prime on low speed when it switches on each day?

Anybody have any first hand experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

But I'm wondering if it will prime on low speed when it switches on each day?
A pump should not lose prime when turned off. If it does, then there is an air leak somewhere. But if does lose prime, in most cases, high speed is needed to prime.

But I'm wondering if it will prime on low speed when it switches on each day?
It should. I have no problems with my 2-speed when it starts on low. It might take a few seconds longer to purge any standing air, but it should still do fine. If not, if you feel that your system responds better when priming on high, you should be able to program your timer(s) to do that as well if you chose. For example, since Intermatic timers have various on/off options per day/per timer, I would think you could have that flexibility to start on high for just a few minutes then go back to low all day if you wanted. Here's just one example if you didn't already know about it:

dbtgallery.php

There are probably other programming options, so you may receive more suggestions from other owners who do the same thing.

Is there a standard feature of a 2-speed pump to run on high for a few minutes even when selecting the low speed? That's what mine does though it may be via the automation, not the pump itself. It serves to ensure the pump primes properly, if needed, then switches to low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.