two filters?- replace cartridge with sand (ruby sand replacement instead of sand) and add another filter?

Jeff.williams

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 29, 2018
Montgomery, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Guys -

I have a pool that is just over 40,000 gallons. It has (6) 3 HP pumps and of those, one is used for the main pool pump to filter a C7030 cartridge filter. I am considering replacing the cartridge filter and / or augmenting it with another filter. I understand that the Ruby sand works better than sand. I was going to replace the cartridge filter (nothing wrong with it - just hate to clean the cartridges) with something that is easier to maintain. I am open to a DE filter as well but like the idea of the sand for backwashing principles. What I cannot wrap my brain around is the the fact that out of my six pumps, one of them is cleaning. The question that I am asking for input on mainly is why wouldn't we filter one of the other pumps that runs all day (12 hours) on the infinity edge to help filter the pool or at least, cut down the run times on the main pump, effectively almost doubling the pool filtration rates. The main pump runs 12 hours a day at 60% while the infinity edge pump runs at 30 percent all day. I was the designer and automator on my pool build and often consult on automation and pool equipment and some technical aspects but wanted to bounce this idea off of you all.

There is no reason that any pump that is circulating water cannnot be filtering the water. You will probably find you need to increase the % of your infinity pump when you add a filter. So the savings may not be as much as you think. At the end I think you will find it is close to a zero sum between one pump and filter running for X hours or two pumps and filter running for 1/2X hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.