Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi
We don't have any shade near the pool except an umbrella. We want to mount a TV up high on wall in picture .
The eave will provide some cover from weather but looking for other ideas to help protect the tv besides a fabric cover ...
We don't want to or have room to build a structure like a gazebo

Next to the spot lights in the image you will see the outlet we added. We may pull the spotlights out and cover the hole since we have the string lights. In retrospect I should have just pulled the spotlights and used that circuit for the TV ... Opps

The plan was to install a TV mount so the TV was right up under the eave
We are looking at adding a 50" or so TV so it can be seen from the pool and the tub

Do any of you have any ideas for ways to add some more shade and protection from weather here ?

IMG_20170814_144715.jpg ..

Hi
We don't have any shade near the pool except an umbrella. We want to mount a TV up high on wall in picture .
The eave will provide some cover from weather but looking for other ideas to help protect the tv besides a fabric cover ...
We don't want to or have room to build a structure like a gazebo

Next to the spot lights in the image you will see the outlet we added. We may pull the spotlights out and cover the hole since we have the string lights. In retrospect I should have just pulled the spotlights and used that circuit for the TV ... Opps

The plan was to install a TV mount so the TV was right up under the eave
We are looking at adding a 50" or so TV so it can be seen from the pool and the tub

Do any of you have any ideas for ways to add some more shade and protection from weather here ?

View attachment 67833 ..

A bar near me has an outdoor TV with a flip-down galvanized metal cover. The cover looks like a shower pan (probably had a custom-size cover made). Has a piano hinge along the top and hydraulic lifts on either side. Acts like a sunshade during viewing hours and a full weatherproof cover when it's closed (heavy rubber seal around the perimeter). This is a similar idea in wood:

Outdoor TV cabinet made of rough cedar lumber #outdoortvcabinet | Project Ideas For Woodworking | Pinterest | Outdoor tv cabinet, Cedar lumber and Tv cabinets

With the weather in Texas (your tv will get wet) that eve won't help with sideways rain and the moisture/ humidity will get inside the TV
You will need a cabinet and or a set designed to be outdoors

There are several sports bars that have setups that will work
I would ask them the TVs they use and who supplied the cabinet

The metal one described above is your best bet
A 400 tv may only last few months
(If you do go cheap) un plug the tv when not in use and wait till it is completely dry before plugging in to use

I've got a friend with a cheap 40-something inch tv hanging on an unprotected 2 story wall. He covers it with a $10 bbq grill cover from Lowes when not in use. It's been out there for at least 4 years, I think 6 actually. We've had 2 cheap indoor TVs on covered porches outside up for 5ish years and they are fine.

Keep the ideas coming

I'm not sure why insurance is important. Unless you are suggesting that the TV would short and burn the house or Shock a guest. Wow hadnt considered that.
Since we currently have a 42" TV we carry out and put on a folding table with the extension cord draped across the deck, any mounted TV will be better from a safety perspective.
If it gets stolen, insurance wont care if its outdoor rated or not and, none of them cost more than my home owners deductible. And my Umbrella policy will hopefully cover other issues.

The 55" signature series sunbrite is $4500

I can buy 10 55" Roku tvs for that price.

Putting a TV outside is a nice to have, Its not worth multiple thousands to us.
We looked at the $800 outdoor enclosures for them but they have issues with condensation, glare etc.

I've got a friend with a cheap 40-something inch tv hanging on an unprotected 2 story wall. He covers it with a $10 bbq grill cover from Lowes when not in use. It's been out there for at least 4 years, I think 6 actually. We've had 2 cheap indoor TVs on covered porches outside up for 5ish years and they are fine.
'

PoolDV
We are likely just going that route, and maybe get 2 matching Mounts so we can move the TV inside for the Winter and when we have warning for big storms ...

If we lose a TV or 2 we will likely get one of the enclosures

We decided to add a small TV when we built the porch. It's under the porch roof, but we bought this cover to use when the TV is not in use. It says it's weatherproof though and got good reviews, so maybe similar for you would work but the larger size.

Outdoor TV Cover Weatherproof Universal Television Protector for 30'' - 32'' LED, LCD, PLASMA | Remote Control Storage Pocket | Industrial Quality Velcro | Compatible with Most Mounts and Stands https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATUT3XU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ob8KzbKZ1MNHC

The TVs will suffer some corrosion in the internal connectors and any steel shielding inside.

That being said, I've had a cheapo 42" set outside now for 5 years that I won in a golf tournament. About 1 year ago it starting to act up so I took it down, opened the back and unconnected and reconnected every ribbon cable there was. Before I reconnected them I filled the female end with dielectric gel to help block any future moisture/corrosion. It has been fine ever since.

The TV is mounted about 10' up on a swivel/accordion type mount under our lanai roof area. If we are due for a really bad storm with heavy wind I do throw a large garbage bag over it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My neighbor has an indoor TV hanging under a covered, outdoor patio. Covers it with a cheap grill type cover when not in use.

He also zip-tied this to the back of it and always leaves it plugged in. He is convinced it helps keep the moisture out of the unit while it's covered. TV has been working for 3 plus years now.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725721-P-GoldenRod-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00CYBDFWI?th=1&psc=1

RC

Golden Rod is simply a heater used to keep air moving ....
Have one in my gun safe.

I use Corrosion X on my RC plane electronics that might get wet. I might try it on the TV electronics ..
https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-90104-Heavy-Duty-12-Ounce-Aerosol/dp/B0009H1AMG/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502896185&sr=1-4&keywords=corrosion+x

I installed a 55" a little over a month ago on my shed. 2' overhang and a large tree above it, as far as I can tell it hasn't gotten wet yet. I was going to cover it with lexan but don't feel it is necessary now. My dad always had a couple tvs outside his lake home all summer, same deal with the 2' overhang on the roof and they have lasted well over 5 years. We plan to do as my dad did and bring it in once the snow flies.

IMG_1605.jpg

We went with a cover

Its working well so far

We bought a cover that can stay on
It zips up the sides and the front rolls up ... Much easier than taking off and storing every time

We have 3 TV's outside. Two small ones near by BBQ and our seating area, and a big one on the fence by the pool. I use HDMI repeaters (most pricey component for 600m range ones) to allow all to mirror my great room/kitchen area's TV.

My 65" on the fence was an open box at Sam's club for $350 3 years ago. All I do is use a fitted outdoor cover. I feel like I got my money's worth. When it corrodes or otherwise, I'll replace it with another refurb/openbox.

We did the same and bought a $200 TV, it wears a removable cover most of the year - during the Dec-Feb time frame we take it down completely and store it or put it in one of our bedrooms. Last winter it survived several severe winter rain storms.

If you're going on the cheap, then 1) it's covered 2) protected 3) purpose built. Sounds like your best bet then is that TVs are getting lighter, so I'd opt then to find something with a stand built in and keep fixed to the TV. Then get 2 cheap hangers and hang in the other in the garage. Just make sure you have the mount and connections easily accessible outside when you want to use.

We went with a fabric cover that stays on and unzips from each side to expose the screen

Saves time and energy compared to the covers you have to take off

I have 2 identical mounts and intend to mount the second mouint in the Man Cave to store the TV during winter and storms etc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.