Turned green fast

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
Well I closed my pool down for the winter a few weeks ago, for the water turned too cold. Now when I say I closed it down, I basically mean I took the wedding cake stairs out, and still run the pump through the winter months. When I shut it down, my numbers were on point like I had it all summer, but within days, my pool just kept getting greener and greener. My chlorine level has not dipped below five, so im confused how its getting such a bad algae bloom..I know I need to slam, but dang...How did that happen...My ph is 7.6...alk is 90, and cya is 30....I thought colder water was easier to maintain..lol

Was there any algae on the stairs? Maybe it's been there all along, and you "released it into the wild" just by moving it? What else is different between a few weeks ago and the green?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Well I had dead algae in the stairs, so like every end of the season, I take them out and clean with bleach, then power wash and store in garage. The water was hazy from stirring up the dead algae, but after two days, water was crystal clear, and my numbers on point. I check my numbers everyday so I at least maintain 5-6ppm chlorine level, and have not been below that number all season except once, and that was in the very beginning of season when it poured rain everyday..All last week it was clear, then I noticed some dead algae on floor, so like always, checked my numbers, and I was actually reading 8ppm on my chlorine, and that was after a full day of sun..I brushed pool Friday night, and Saturday morning it was green...I backwashed and checked levels, and my chorine was still at 8ppm...After brushing when adding more chlorine, its just gotten worse...In the five years ive had a pool, ive never had a green pool..lol...That's why im confused..

How are the reagents (expiration dates)?

Your pool had algae at some point, before this breakout (you said you found it under the stairs) and maybe you've had it all along. Maybe it wasn't actually dead. I've read here about SLAMs that wouldn't end and the advice for that situation is to start tearing things apart to find where the hidden beast lies: stairs, ladders, behind lights, under drains, in the skimmer, etc. And that's in a pool at SLAM level for days/weeks. I'm just speculating in your case, but it is possible that you can have a good FC level and still have algae hiding somewhere. And it's also possible that something is amiss with your CYA number, which would compromise your calculations for a safe FC level. Maybe a few birds used your pool for a toilet Friday. Sort of a perfect storm scenario: you were right on the cusp of an algae outbreak, with your standard FC keeping it just at bay. It's been there all along, you released an additional load of it from under the stairs (or a few animals did their thing), that tipped the scales, and it took off. Just a possible theory, but it doesn't really matter, does it? You know what to do.

And the algae on the stairs, dead or otherwise, doesn't rule out it may be elsewhere, too. Think about where else it may be hiding and have a look see.

Moving forward, you might rethink the stairs. Using them at all. Or maybe up their maintenance: pull them out more than once a year and clean them well, often enough to negate a repeat of this situation. Or is there a model that allows better circulation around and through them? Maybe up your target FC level a notch or two, as well. They're only guidelines after all, each pool is different. And maybe yours is one that needs some extra FC (or CYA).

So true....Well the only other place in the pool it could be is return jet, which I currently have a fountain attached, for the Dallas summers get brutal, so needed something to help cool the water..I always scrub the skimmer around the skimmer plate...Yup, I know what to do....SLAM !!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun fun fun..lol

Reactions: Dirk
Are you using a salt generator? As soon as I turned the temp on my heater down to minimum my salt generator stopped producing anything, even though it is above the minimum temp for it to function.

Another possibility is the fact that chlorine is much less effective at lower temperatures so it will take a longer time to kill any algae. This might sound counterintuitive, because we expect algae growth to be minimal in cold weather, however, if you are above 60 degrees algae is able to thrive while your chlorine will be less effective in the cold temp. Chlorine levels don't deplete as much in the winter because the chlorine isn't doing as much oxidizing when it is cold

I'm sure the 95 degree weather this weekend didnt exactly help anything, but still odd that you would get algae if you were within the target FC range.

No, I do not have a salt water system, but your suggestion is true, and im still above 60 degrees. My water temp is running in the low to mid 70's..And it sure didn't help with it being 95 this past weekend...Heck, we could have swimmed..lol

Has anyone used Blue Whale liquid chlorine from Leslies? Ive been using it only because of the shortage and number of bottles you can purchase of bleach, and it has worked great for me all summer, but now I have to do a slam, for something happened, and my pool turned green like overnight, even though my numbers were good..Should I just go from store to store and get my limit of bleach? or slam with liquid chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought I saw a thread awhile back saying if any product that has the word blue in it, don't use...but I wouldn't think for chlorine..
You are correct. But Blue Whale is just the company's name, unlike the Clorox Blue products for example. I can understand why you'd say that though. But I used that brand when I was manually chlorinating with no issues.

Capture bl.JPG

In Mesquite, you should have plenty of options for liquid chlorine (Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). There should be no reason to have to use regular bleach or mess with any rationing of bottles.

Very true, but believe it or not, our lowes and home depot supply has been very low, and the ones that ive seen looks to be very old, and reading on these posts, they say to stay clear if they store them outside, for they could have lost their effectiveness...I was scolded at Walmart for trying to buy more than two jugs at a time, and the ones they have been stocking lately look smaller than the original. Since that happened, ive been buying the blue whale at leslies..

Interesting. The Walmarts near me are begging people to take the Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine, so they can jam more Christmas stuff on the shelves. Are you able to find that, near the outdoors section (but stored inside)? The 2 by me have hundreds of bottles sitting on end caps/shelves.

I did get some of the pool essentials at the big Walmart, but when we went back for more, they were sold out, so that's when I started using blue whale....I need to clarify when I meant Walmart originally was the smaller neighborhood Walmart where we grocery shop, for that is where I use to always get my bleach...That's where they scolded me at..lol...Ill go to the big Walmart and see if they have more in stock..thanks for the reminder on the pool essentials

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.