Tulsa design/equipment help

Oct 26, 2014
Tulsa, OK
Hey Everyone,

We have a few questions that we are hoping you would be able to help us with.

We are planning a new build to start in the next few weeks. We are unsure if we should build a pool that we maintain at about 90 degrees or if we should make a pool/spa combo. We are leaning to just a pool. Do you think we will regret this?

I don't think we plan on using the pool in the winter but plan to keep it "open" to enjoy the view. Perhaps heat it for a weekend here and there in the winter. Pool should be about 9000 gallons.

As for heating, we are thinking about a 330k NG heater and a heat pump. Plan to use both for the greatest efficiency.

Any other opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I like the simple design. A pool like that will be very inexpensive to operate using the TFP method. Keep in mind a rectangle pool is more expensive to build than a freeform. If you aren't set on rectangle, you should bid out freeform and compare the cost. You may be surprised at how much cheaper the freeform is. Don't be shy to post all the details of the pool such as whether it will be gunite or vinyl and what type of coping and decking you're thinking about going with. ;-)

Depending on your electric rates, you may be better off with just the heat pump. My 139K BTU heat pump can increase the temp of my pool 1 degree per hour when the avg daily temp is 70. It would probably do yours a little faster. At my 6.4c per kilowatt electric rate, it cost me about $10 to heat the pool to 85 and keep it there for 2 days while the avg temp outside was 70. This is WITHOUT any cover! To heat my pool to 85 for the whole month of October would probably cost me around $100 extra on my electric bill. Even if the rates were double, it's still a lot less than what I've heard it costs to heat with gas. To keep the pool 90 degrees during the summer would probably cost pennies a day.

Having a second heater also means something else to break. Plus running a gas line can add a lot to the build cost, depending on the length of the run. I'm guessing you could probably chop at least a few thousands bucks off the cost of your build if you ditch the gas heater. If you put that money aside for using the heat pump you'll be swimming from April to October for years to come. ;-) Maybe a little bit in March and November too. ;-)

I don't think you'll regret leaving out a spa. I opted out of it because it added almost 10K to the bid, and my wife and I probably wouldn't use it often enough to justify the cost. We don't really like going outside when it's cold anyway.

Welcome to TFP!!!!!!! I look forward to seeing your build!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.